Coop door size

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Shrek
Lively Laner

Coop door size

Post by Shrek »

I'm getting on with the Ark now and I'm about half way there but I need to ask a question.....

What size does the door from the coop down into the run need to be for the chickens to be able to get in and out comfortably?. I was thinking along the lines of maybe 12" square and raised up and down in runners via a wire trace perhaps.

All suggestions welcome.

One elderly cat called Chloe and Zak the baby tom.... Betty the Speckledy, Maggie the Black Rock and Kylie the Bluebelle !!!

Itchy
Lively Laner

Re: Coop door size

Post by Itchy »

Funny I was just coming on to ask the same question, I have a a frame coop so put a triangle door in it with sides about 8 inches long, way too small now the chooks are fully grown, so my plan is to do what you are doing ,was thinking along the lines of about a foot :-D
can't think of owt funny to write lol
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

12 to 15 inch, )t'
Just curious - how many you gonna keep in the arc?
Shrek
Lively Laner

Post by Shrek »

Steve the Gas wrote:12 to 15 inch, )t'
Just curious - how many you gonna keep in the arc?

We are looking at keeping three chickens to begin with (maybe adding one more if things go to plan).
The square footage will be 42 sq ft at ground level and the raised coop will be 7 sq ft. We aren't going to have any more than four birds as this will drop us below the suggested 10 sq ft per bird. They will on occasion be wandering in the back garden.

Correction......... trashing the back garden !!!!!.
One elderly cat called Chloe and Zak the baby tom.... Betty the Speckledy, Maggie the Black Rock and Kylie the Bluebelle !!!
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

)t' )t'