Skunk has moved, raccoon has entered the barn

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
LynneP
DTL Facebook Admin

Skunk has moved, raccoon has entered the barn

Post by LynneP »

ost people regard raccoons as pests, especially around chickens. But we have housed one raccoon per year in the barn loft for each of the 24 years here. The trick is to have solid protection for the chickens, a self-contained unit that is impenetrable above and below ground.

This little girl is barely weaned and was very hungry when she arrived. She is so naive that I can get within a metre or so before she bcks up. I will not tame her though as her adult years should involve fear of most humans. She was grateful for some cat food, and greeted me morning and evening for food until this morning, when she had already retired to sleep in the loft, having fed herself. This is a very good sign and it has relaxed the barn cats who now enter the loft and check her nest to confirm she is sleeping.

'Poppet' is lucky we have a vacancy- sometimes a raccoon will stay for up to 4 years, but this year we can house her. She has a private exit under the eaves and until the snow gets very deep and she goes into torpor she can come and go as she pleases. And guess what? She has been litter-training herself, so I can leave a box near the nest, the little darling.

Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul - and sings the tunes without the words - and never stops at all.
~Emily Dickinson

http://goldenhillsfarm.blogspot.com/201 ... -farm.html

LittleBrownFrog

Re: Skunk has moved, raccoon has entered the barn

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

She's gorgeous!
What happened to Ellie? Did she move on voluntarily, or did she need to be encouraged?
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

how cute, did she turn up by herself? or was she a rescue?
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
LynneP
DTL Facebook Admin

Post by LynneP »

Poppet turned up on her own, so far as I know, though problems with people relocating them do occur. Ellie is one the property using the abandoned burrow underneath an abandoned chicken coop from the 1970's. She flounces around in the goatweed, thinking I can't see her, but her tail sticks out above! She'll stock the burrow with seeds for winter, even dried apples. We should see her on warm winter days. I hate the thought of harming a wild animal, so David built a chicken fortress!
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul - and sings the tunes without the words - and never stops at all.
~Emily Dickinson

kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

They certainly arrived at the right barn!
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Batfink
Longlasting Laner

Post by Batfink »

Wow, she is SOOOO cute!
I AM NOT A BLOKE!!! - I may not be a ladieeeeeeeee, but I'm ALL woman!

Hurry up to Hertfordshire Sunny Clucker!
LittleBrownFrog

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

{hug} Lucky critters.
LynneP
DTL Facebook Admin

Post by LynneP »

Truth be told, David maintains a sanctuary at the base of our property where deer and other animals can shelter during hunting season. We have a large number of ringneck pheasants year-round, and we can allow the fox dens to remain where they are. One of our neighbours placed some game cams in the crown land beyond it and apparently the big buck that all the hunters crave has moved there over past years during hunting season. Heh.
~Emily Dickinson

Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

She really is beautiful - it must be so hard not to try to tame her as my natural instinct would be to go for cuddles every time :-D
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
Panteg Produce
Legendary Laner

Post by Panteg Produce »

)t'
Live a simple life and be happy , Rich.
LynneP
DTL Facebook Admin

Post by LynneP »

A cub can certainly lern to be handled, but trouble starts when they reach sexual maturity. Even the females can get nasty. Besides, she is a wild creature and if she assumes all humans can be approached to food and cuddle, she is more likely to be shot. But yes, she is a cutie! She makes an enticing trillling sound, something that makes you want to substitute for her mama.
~Emily Dickinson

Luna
Longlasting Laner

Post by Luna »

How lucky they are to have wandered into your backyard. And how lucky for you to be able to watch nature on your doorstep.
Jo x
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."
Atticus Finch in 'To Kill a Mockingbird' by Harper Lee
LynneP
DTL Facebook Admin

Post by LynneP »

I feel very lucky. I get to see all kinds of wildlife, and since David has the coops fortified, the chickens are safe. Both Miss Ellie and Poppet are settling nicely, I see them briefly at sunrise or sunset and they are no trouble whatever. I think Poppet revealed herself to see if I were a danger or not. Sometimes she peeks down from the loft when I rattle a container with cat food, and I hear that enticing sound. She comes down very quietly as I leave the barn. She will be luckier than most because we keep electric dog bowls on the barn floor for water in winter.

One of the easiest ways to see wild animals is to be in the chicken run just at sunset. The wild animals don't notice me and I get glimpses of deer, foxes, groundhogs and various birds and mammals.
~Emily Dickinson

Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

Bears? :?
manda

Post by manda »

Beautiful pictures Lynne...they are lucky little critters to stop by your place :-D {hug}
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny