2 Tier system

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
janepick
Legendary Laner

2 Tier system

Post by janepick »

Has anyone got a 2 tier system in their run? I mean like a platform, shelves, anything that gives space for escape?

I want to give as much room for my new ladies as the ex batt 'ladies' throw their handbags around with gusto. I want to try and integrate them as harmonious as poss,the new girls can fly and jump but the ex batt ladies don't. My Walk-in-Run is 6ft high, 2 walls are fence panels, the other 2 are weldmesh panels.

I would be grateful for any idea's and possible pics - thank you.
Jane x

madmum
Legendary Laner

Re: 2 Tier system

Post by madmum »

I have a couple of raised platforms in my run,also several large logs stood on end with branches across them !Lots of high perches and places for escaping should the need arise )t'
If you always do what you always do ,you will always get what you have always got!
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I have a raised bit which I pop the feed under. Each new addition make full use of it! I also placed the coop about 1ft from the run side, so they can run round it. That has been a godsend.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
ock

Post by ock »

I have a couple of platforms, one is the roof over the dustbath and the other one I call the bus shelter, they like to hang out in this one smoking and drinking cans, they`ve also got the "snack bar" and their branch )t'
[center]OCK LIKES TO PARTY !!!![/center]
LittleBrownFrog

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

Do any of them ever hop on the bus into town?
My parents used to have an old dining table in the run, which served a similar purpose I suppose.
ock

Post by ock »

LittleBrownFrog wrote:Do any of them ever hop on the bus into town?

no, I don`t let them have any money, they`ll waste it )gr:
LittleBrownFrog

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

Probably wise.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Most of mine have bus passes.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
silverback
Legendary Laner

Post by silverback »

I have a perch across one corner half way up the Walk-in-Run, and an old mangle where they can hop up onto two levels, or get behind!.. )t'
I am old and wise, because I was young and stupid!.
LynneP
DTL Facebook Admin

Post by LynneP »

We have platforms too and ramps that the birds can dive under and run around...just makes it easier to integrate birds and to keep the flock dry.

Birds seem to feel safer when they can fly up to look around and have their bottoms shielded from enemies below.

Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul - and sings the tunes without the words - and never stops at all.
~Emily Dickinson

http://goldenhillsfarm.blogspot.com/201 ... -farm.html
ock

Post by ock »

the bus stop )t'

the dustbath roof )grin2(

the snack bar )eat(

and the branch >eas2<

cgisby
Longlasting Laner

Post by cgisby »

I like these, they're putting ideas into my head for when I build my run. Thanks :D
3 chickens - Petal, Hermione and Snowy
Frog crazy
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

Ock I borrowing your bus shelter idea.

I have 2 corner perches, the feed bins, a couple of ramps, few fat dumpy logs with skinny log on top (for when they practice their gymnastic routine) and once we have felled the remaining dead tree and over hanging branches they will have a nice big branch too. Oh they also have one of those cable drum things and a teeny little table, not forgetting an old kitchen chair which is really for me.

I tend to take things out after a few days and move things around so they always have something new to explore.

My newbies all hid behind the feed bins when I tried to mix the flocks.
annen1
Lively Laner

Post by annen1 »

We used an old desk pushed up against two fence panels in the run. They sunbathe on top of it and run under it to shelter from the rain during the day. They also use the underneath part as their dustbath. We originally used it as a temporary shelter when we rehomed the ex batts but all the chooks loved it and it stayed after they were integrated. There's also a couple of perches which the hybrids like to use.
1 hubby, 2 grown up kids, 2 rescue dogs, 7 chickens (Goldline, White Sussex, Bluebell, Marans and 2 ex batts), 1 cockatiel, tropical and pond fish.

RIP Blondie (ex batt May 2011-May 2012)
sleepy
Lively Laner

Post by sleepy »

i have a 12 ft x 12ft Walk-in-Run divided in half with a 3ft sq raisable door , its normally open then in each half i have 2 raised perches/shelves which i sometimes house young growers on until i can integrate them into my flock, its worked well up til now :-D