sick ckicken

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
wilko
Learner Laner

sick ckicken

Post by wilko »

Hi Everyone, Been a while since I last posted but we have a problem with one of our ex batts. She has 'outsize hocks'which seem to be getting wider and she walks like a duck. She seems lethargic and is keeping herself to herself. She is eating normally and when I throw some treats for them she helps herself to them as eagerly as the other hens do. We have tried looking on the'net but can't seem to find anything that resembles the symptoms.I have took some pictures of her in the hope that someone on here can shed some light on her condition.

Thanks in advance, Wilko
Baxter,Campbell, Heinz and Packet, 2 dogs,9 canaries,5cockatiels,several pondfish.

Mad Chick

Re: sick ckicken

Post by Mad Chick »

Hmmm... she does look rather wide.

Is she laying? Can you have a gentle feel of her to see if you can feel any egg shaped lumps and bumps which could indicate that she's egg bound? Is so, a warm belly bath may help.

The other thing that concerns me is that you say she is waddling like a duck. This got me thinking of egg yolk peritonitis but they normally stand more upright (a bit like a penguin)

Hopefully someone with a bit more of an idea will be along soon )t'
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
Chi Chi
Longlasting Laner

Post by Chi Chi »

I dont know what it could be but def give her a bath. Hope shes better soon {hug}
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

Sounds more like 'water belly' or Ascites, is her belly like a hard balloon?
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

She looks very swollen, I've never come across this before so cant give any advice at all except that if I was in your position I'd take her to a good vet.. )t'
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
little brown hen
Legendary Laner

Post by little brown hen »

My chicken Spice looks very like your girl. She had a lot of fluid at her back end, from the end of her chest bone to the vent, and she walked as though she'd been on a horse, straddle legged. She had Baytril and the swelling went down.
Mum to Sox and Boo,and hens, Bramble,
Belle,Bourbon,Holly,Ivy, May and June
RIP Daisy my cat,and Spice, Clara, Alice, Biscuit, Cookie Clarice and Henrietta. Over rainbow bridge, but never forgotten.
Funky chicken
Longlasting Laner

Post by Funky chicken »

Is her belly taut and swollen? One of my ex-bats looked like that and she had acites (water belly) as Steve said, she had a mass in her stomach, she was really miserable, not eating and just standing with her head crunched into her shoulders. I hope it isn't the same but i think she needs to see a vet for a diagnosis anyway.
wilko
Learner Laner

Post by wilko »

Hi Everyone, Thanks for the helpful replies. I have just got home from work and been to check on the girls and I picked up the sick one and her 'underside' is like a swollen balloon, so I will make an appointment with the vet and take her in.Once again thanks for the help.

Wilko
Baxter,Campbell, Heinz and Packet, 2 dogs,9 canaries,5cockatiels,several pondfish.
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

Lets hope the vet knows.... if not, you tell 'em )t'
wilko
Learner Laner

Post by wilko »

Hi Everyone, Just got back from vets with the sad news that we have had to have the sick chicken put to sleep as there was nothing the vet could do. He said it could have been a tumour or heart failure (her comb was turning blue). Will find a nice part of the garden to bury her.

Wilko
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

So sorry {cry} {hug}
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
wendy

Post by wendy »

Aww what a shame. There is usually an underlining problem that causes ascities. {cry}
You gave her freedom and I am sure she was forever grateful
{hug} {hug}
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Sorry to hear that {hug}
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
fishpond
Legendary Laner

Post by fishpond »

How sad.
But she enjoyed her new life.
No problem can withstand the power of continuous thought.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Poor girl, at least she is not suffering any more.