Oh no, help please =(

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
fishpond
Legendary Laner

Re: Oh no, help please =(

Post by fishpond »

As long as it isn't red, I would use it.
No problem can withstand the power of continuous thought.

LisaB

Post by LisaB »

Okayy, I'll wait til my boyfriend gets back so he can hold her for me, I bet he'll be happy about that {rofwl}
AL37
Admin Moderator

Post by AL37 »

I am pleased she is healing well Lisa. )t'
All your doing with the food colouring is disguising any redness to help prevent the other hens from being attracted to and pecking that area.
The purple spray does have antiseptic properties etc but if she is healing well then chances are she will be just fine with a green disguise. )t'
[center]Relax, I could have been a twin.[/center]
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

Ahhh, okay dokie, thank you!
Just so I know for the future, would germolene be okay to use as an antiseptic and then put food colouring on to cover any redness?
AL37
Admin Moderator

Post by AL37 »

Not sure about germolene, I have never used it. I would get some purple spray in for next time, loads of online suppliers. The small bottle I have has lasted two years so far and I loaned it to a friend to spray an injury on his horses leg a number of times and I have used it on a scuff on the pigs leg too so it was £6 well spent. )t'
I can get you some and post it if it helps. )t'
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

Ahh, okay.
Thank you very much, but it's fine, I'll get some ordered now,
Is this the right stuff?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Equimins-Horse- ... 932&sr=8-1
AL37
Admin Moderator

Post by AL37 »

Thats it, and thats the same one I use. )t'
Oh, and when you use it wear gloves because it doesn't wash off. :-D
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Glad she's going on all right Lisa. I got purple spray when we first got the girls, but haven't needed it yet, and am so glad Al gave the tip about wearing gloves, as I haven't read the instructions.
cgisby
Longlasting Laner

Post by cgisby »

Definitely wear gloves. I always forget and then as soon as it's all over my hands I feel like an idiot. It doesn't come off easy.
3 chickens - Petal, Hermione and Snowy
Frog crazy
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

In my experience wearing gloves is a waste of time as the moment I sprayed Dot she shook her head and I ended up with a purple face :oops: , thank goodness for ex-foliating face masks.

Also never trust a man to do the spraying as they are incapable of just doing a tiny bit, thankfully it was just my gardening coat and it did come out in the wash
AL37
Admin Moderator

Post by AL37 »

Mrs B wrote:Also never trust a man to do the spraying as they are incapable of just doing a tiny bit,

In my experience with things like this to much is never enough, infact, I have applied the same rule with many things with excellent results. )grin2(
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

{rofwl}

Thank youssss.
I have loads of gloves in the chicken hut and thought they'd never come of use, guess they have a use now! Although, at the moment I'm sporting orange hands from washing my hair )grin2(
I wont worry about my face too much as the inch of foundation should shield my face from any splatter )grin2(
chickenlicken
Lively Laner

Post by chickenlicken »

Potassium permanganate powder is also good for wounds as we use it if our dogs nails bleed when they're cut. You can buy a little tub in the chemists and it's cheaper than gentian spray. They're violet crystals (powder) that will disguise any wound or redness. Again, as with the gentian spray you would have to use gloves as it stains your hands something terrible. I hope your little girl is ok now. It is an awful shock seeing any animal bleeding.