Not again =(

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
LisaB

Not again =(

Post by LisaB »

I have another sick hen, guys.
I've had Roxy since September. She was fine this morning (and yesterday), rushed out the coop with the others and tucked into food and water. I've really not been well today so I've not checked them as much as I would normally but when I went down at 2 I know they all ran over to me so didn't think anything was wrong.
Now, I've just popped down at 5 and she's under the tree, on her own, tail down.
Her crop feels okay, like she's eaten but not a lot. Her breath doesn't smell.
She doesn't look or feel like she's trying to lay anything.
I noticed there was a poo near her (which I assume was hers) which was like white liquid with a few lumps of poo in it sile} Like a mix of the 4th and 5th from the bottom on the poo chart
http://chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Now, I've seen her drink this morning, and I've had two chooks pass away due to egg peritonitis I believe and neither looked quite like her, they look more hunched and looked like they were trying to lay.

I gave them some mash just after I noticed her and she did seem interested and took a few pecks from it but didn't seem as enthusiastic as usual.
Any help anyone? :?

EDIT; I forgot to mention, we did buy some different pellets yesterday, I was really really silly and thought there was some layers still in the big shed but there wasn't, so it was a bit of a sudden change in their food, but there was still some of their old layers mixed in, but all the other hens seem perfectly fine.
Last edited by LisaB on 29 Oct 2011, 17:28, edited 1 time in total.

Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Re: Not again =(

Post by Spreckly »

Oh Lisa, you are on a steep learning curve, aren't you. I hope little Roxy perks up soon.
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

I am, Spreckly =( Thank you

I feel like I try so hard for these little girls and they just always get sick {cry}
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

Don't panic, the food won't be the prob.
I would bathe her, maybe a softie, see what tomorrow or the bath brings. )t'
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

Should I bath her in the morning Steve as it's getting quite dark here now?
mabel88
Lively Laner

Post by mabel88 »

ive never talked to someone so young but so dedicated and with your love of animals those chickens couldnt ask for a better home its a shame all teenagers werent like you )t'
i was born bald and my mother loves Me 50 yrs later nothing's changed
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

Awww thank you so much, Wayne, it means a lot, really!
mabel88
Lively Laner

Post by mabel88 »

your welcome hope your luck changes i would give you chicken advice but you know more about chickens than i do )t'
i was born bald and my mother loves Me 50 yrs later nothing's changed
perchy

Post by perchy »

Aww Lisa, I brought Alison in last night washed her then put her back, >fi< for you and your little lady

{hug} for you
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

Morning, but hoping she is fine by then. )t'
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

Just been to check them, they look like they're about to pop off to bed.
Roxy looks a little better, she's come out from under the tree, her tail is a bit more up, but she's still not coming to see me and is keeping herself to herself.
I'll leave her for tonight and see what she's like in the morning :?

On the plus side, little Maria and Poppy are looking better. There's still times when Maria's crop feels not quite right, but she's spending more time with the others and being more inquisitive which is good. I've had them for 2 weeks now, so if she was really ill would she of gone by now or not necessarily?

I hope Allison is okay, Perchy =)
perchy

Post by perchy »

Glad she is a little better {hug}

Alison is in the coop, have give her a kiss, am sure she loved it )t'
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

Aww bless {hug}
They're all in the coop now, Roxy's the only one that perches every night (occasionally Ivy and Daphne join her but they prefer to snuggle with the others atm), she's perching with her tail down, is that how they normally perch, I never take much notice :oops:

Also, I keep meaning to ask this but always forget, most of the shed floor is wood shavings and then the two nest boxes full of straw. Then around the door it's plastic, so I don't have to stand in wood shavings when I'm cleaning up. The thing is 6-8 of them always sleep on the plastic right by the door }hairout{ every night all of the newbies sleep on the plastic (apart from Daphne who's perched once or twice) and accompanied by Ivy or Pip, or both! It's a night mare to clean, why wont they sleep on their nice bedding? Or how can I encourage them to sleep on it?
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

If you mean to perch, then you can try putting them on them every night for a bit to see if they like it or not.
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

Lisa I think you are brill )t' If I ever come back as a chicken I hope you will give me a home {hug} .....Lyn
LYN