My luck really does suck.

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
LisaB

My luck really does suck.

Post by LisaB »

Feel terrible this morning.
Went to let the chickies out and Roxy came flying over, she looks wonderful, same as normal!

Now, an even bigger problem. Now Thea's back end is bleeding, it doesn't look like she's been pecked and no one's got blood on their face.
I've never had to deal with a prolapse so I'm not sure what one's like, but her vent looks quite big and open (might get a little graphic here) and it looks like it's got a coating of something white on it. About the size of a £2 coin, or probably a bit bigger. She's on her own, and I'm off to run a bath for her now.
She doesn't look like she's in any pain and is acting like normal.

I really don't know what it is, so I'll be back to let you know what's happened once she's bathed.

Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Re: My luck really does suck.

Post by Benny&Co »

Oh Lisa, I do feel for you {cry} {hug}

Glad that little Roxy seems better this morning and hoping Thea will enjoy her bath and it'll give her some comfort. You're really doing your absolute best for those little girls {hug}
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
madmum
Legendary Laner

Post by madmum »

Keep your chin up Lisa {hug} Bath her and keep an eye on her is all you can do unless you can see the prolapse >fi< she will pass whatever it is that is making her uncomfortable.We all admire your care and devotion to your chooks {hug}
If you always do what you always do ,you will always get what you have always got!
silverback
Legendary Laner

Post by silverback »

Hi Lisa, your luck doesn't suck!, things are sent to try us in life and this is your test to see how you cope!.
I have to say that reading your threads over the past weeks and months has been a testiment to your character, and the way you are determined to solve these problems only shows your tenacity, you should be proud of yourself!.
I also know that you will do your very best by your girls, they are very lucky that they are under your care.......Don't ever change!. {hug}
I am old and wise, because I was young and stupid!.
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

Thank you guys {hug}

She's had a bath, and her underneath and around her vent feels soft and I can't feel anything egg like. Her vent's a lot cleaner and doesn't appear to be bleeding. Her bum was quite mucky so the white stuff my have been dried urine? Most of it's cleaned off but there's still a bit there.
She seems all well in herself, tails up, no hunching, bright eyed, inquisitive etc. She's tucking into some mash and water now :-D

I ordered some purple spray yesterday btw, so I'm hoping it will come by Tuesday, could do with it now though I think, typical!
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

Aww, thank you so so much SB!
My boyfriend always tells me I should be a vet for things like this, and how I can cope in the worst situations even though they're very upsetting. I've been debating on going to re-do my GSCEs as I didn't have a great year the year I left school so I only got Bs and Cs in my main subjects (and a D in french but shhh!). But that's a whole other topic all together )grin2(
Thanks again!
sazchops
Legendary Laner

Post by sazchops »

Only B's and C's!! Thats really good.
You are obviously a dedicated person and if re doing them would make you feel better go for it. I always say that 15/16 is a bad age to do important exams, just when hormones and boys/girls are far more interesting than school work. I recently re did my maths and english and got almost full marks, 20 years after I first did them.
Sarah - slave to Cats Anthony, Elsa and Pippa, Chickens, Heidi, Fleur, Gabby and Marmite, R.I.P Cadbury
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

Oh that's great sazchops! Well done!
Sadly Bs and Cs aren't really good enough to be a vet (especially when i got all Cs in science!), but I had a rough year with family, friends, and my arthritis so my attendance for school was only about 45%
I did work at home, and revised, but a lot of my teachers, even though I was in 2nd top class which should have meant I should get to do the higher papers unless my scores on the mocks were terrible, they put me in foundation so the maximum I could have got was a C. Silly really, when I believe it should have been my choice to do higher or foundation :? Ohwelllll.
sazchops
Legendary Laner

Post by sazchops »

My son also wanted to be a vet but his maths let him down. There are lots of other things you could do R.S.P.C.A officer is one of the very rewarding options to consider.
Sarah - slave to Cats Anthony, Elsa and Pippa, Chickens, Heidi, Fleur, Gabby and Marmite, R.I.P Cadbury
hen crazy
Lively Laner

Post by hen crazy »

Chin up Lisa - your gilrs are doing really well and the little hick ups are all part of the pleasure (worry) of looking after them - as for your GCSE's - B's and C's well done you - like Sazchops i had to do some exams (re work stuff) it was over 25 years since i done my o'levels (they hadn't invented GCSE's yet) i passed the exams but god i was in a right state just before i did them (i work in a school for naughty boys and girls) and had to have tutoring from the Maths teacher (wouldn't mind but i'm a part qualified accountant) and work with figures everyday my son even had to help me and he was only at primary school at the time :oops: If i can do it anyone can - go for it >gl<
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

I would love to do that but I can't drive yet and with my arthritis I can't really do a physically demanding job (i know a vet is, but being mainly in one room at one time I think I could manage, but we'll see)

Hehehe HC some of that made me giggle :oops: :-D but well done!
sazchops
Legendary Laner

Post by sazchops »

did mine for the same reason as you Hencrazy, the kids I work with have special needs but they were better at maths than me, I still can't work out how many crates can fit on a milk float but I've not needed to so far in life!
rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Post by rhubarb93 »

LisaB wrote:Oh that's great sazchops! Well done!
Sadly Bs and Cs aren't really good enough to be a vet (especially when i got all Cs in science!), but I had a rough year with family, friends, and my arthritis so my attendance for school was only about 45%
I did work at home, and revised, but a lot of my teachers, even though I was in 2nd top class which should have meant I should get to do the higher papers unless my scores on the mocks were terrible, they put me in foundation so the maximum I could have got was a C. Silly really, when I believe it should have been my choice to do higher or foundation :? Ohwelllll.

Liza, you are wonderful, and an inspiration! If you got Bs and Cs under those conditions, I think you should definitely do retakes if you feel up to it physically. You are clearly bright enough and determined enough to do anything you want to, so go for it!
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

rhubarb93 wrote:Liza, you are wonderful, and an inspiration! If you got Bs and Cs under those conditions, I think you should definitely do retakes if you feel up to it physically. You are clearly bright enough and determined enough to do anything you want to, so go for it!

Thank you, rhubarb =)
I think I will re-take, but I think it'll be best to get my hydro and physio done with first, and maybe even learn to drive. Then I'll think more seriously into it =)
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Morning Lisa , its very interesting to hear of all the plans you have to make , dont do anything in a rush you have your whole life in front on you .
May I just pop back to your original post and suggest if the purple spray hasnt arrived or if your little girls vent area looks a bit red , then apply a bit of Sudocreme as this might help with the redness and act as a bit of a deterrent if any of the others do decide to have a quick peck . x
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful