First time

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
chestermanlee
Learner Laner

First time

Post by chestermanlee »

Hi

This is my first post but i am a frequent visitor. I am new to keeping hens, we have had our 2 Cream Legbars, 2 White leghorns and a Buff Orpington for three weeks.

Amazing how attached you get in such a short time and what good fun.

The 2 Legbars and Orpington have not layed in the 3 weeks we have had them. I am presuming that its the time of year. The Leghorns layed until 4 days ago then stopped, we were getting an egg every other day. I think they are moulting but i am not sure. Yes they are losing feathers and look a bit rough but they are eating really well and everything else seems fine.

The other hens dont seem to be moulting, do they moult at different times and is it every year.

how long should a moult last for, should they lay again after the moult and if they have stopped for the winter when should they start again.

Lots of questions, i have saved them all up.

Thanks

silverback
Legendary Laner

Re: First time

Post by silverback »

Hi There, and welcome in from the Dark!... )t'
Moulting will affect egg production, as the protein they eat to produce eggs gets diverted to producing new feathers. It maybe an idea to increase their protein levels during the moult, mealworms or maggots )t' .
Not to sure about how long moults last, might vary from chook to chook, someone will give you the answer... )t'
I am old and wise, because I was young and stupid!.
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Oh dear I struggle with saved up questions but I will try to answer some. First of all , do you know the ages of the chickens that havent laid yet , it may just be that they are too young to have started ? A moult can take 3-4 weeks or longer , one of my girls has been running round looking like a punk rocker for weeks now and I am really missing her lovely white eggs. I had hens last year that lay all through the winter , even when it was freezing cold and the days were short so who knows what goes on in their heads. Laying can be affected by the shortened days but I think its just a case of wait and see, they should all be laying come the Spring.
Would you like to share pics with us ?
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

Hi

I've nothing to add to the excellent advice given above but just wanted to say Hi and welcome the the Lane :-D
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
janepick
Legendary Laner

Post by janepick »

Hiya )wav( and welcome to the lane.
Soon find that after all the books we read and surfing the net absorbing all chicken info......the girls always throw us and lay and moult when we least expect or don't when we do expect :?
Jane x
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Greetings and welcome to The Lane from us too.
Dom & Ali
Ali Woks My World
Karhog
Longlasting Laner

Post by Karhog »

Hi and welcome from me too- it's my first year keeping ckooks and they are also going through a moult...Guess it is wait and see what happens )t'
manda

Post by manda »

Hi there and welcome to the Lane from me too..

The moult can go on for anything up to 6 months...some moult in 2-3 months dropping feathers and replacing them at the same time (these tend to be the "better" more prolific layers) and they are the ones who are a bit ragged looking.
Autumn / Winter is the time for them to do it though which is why they go off lay - it takes huge amounts of nutrients to grow feathers ( and lay eggs through the year...the winter gives them time to grow the new feathers and get a store of nutrients in their bodies again )t'
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

Welcome )t'

Check any possible hidey holes Leghorns are sods for finding new secret places to lay!
chestermanlee
Learner Laner

Post by chestermanlee »

Thanks for your replies. The moult only seems to be affecting the leghorns and one more than the other. Is it common for hens to eat feathers? it is so wet and windy in Scotland at the moment the feathers are mostly being blown away but one Leghorn seems to enjoy eating the odd small feather.

When it stops raining i will get some photos, that will probably be February next year. {cry}
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

They will eat small feathers to extract the protein from them, up the protein intake as said..... maggots are the biz. )t'
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

chestermanlee wrote:Thanks for your replies. The moult only seems to be affecting the leghorns and one more than the other. Is it common for hens to eat feathers? it is so wet and windy in Scotland at the moment the feathers are mostly being blown away but one Leghorn seems to enjoy eating the odd small feather.

When it stops raining i will get some photos, that will probably be February next year. {cry}

Crikey where abouts in Scotland are you then ? In my bit its still pouring in Feb,March, April {rofwl}
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Welcome to this wonderful site, and all the best to you. I am a first time hen keeper, a steep, but fascinating learning curve.