New to the forum Hi all

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
garethj
Learner Laner

New to the forum Hi all

Post by garethj »

Hi all

Im new to all this so please be gentle. We have just got our first girls on Monday afternoon 2 white sussex and 2 black rock, this is the first time we have kept chickens. To date we have had 5 eggs from our girls 3 on Monday and 2 today so far which is more than i was expecting this early after getting them they are all 22-23 weeks old.
My problem is one of my black rocks Xena seems to be scratching around looking for somewhere to lay. A couple of eggs where laid on the floor so i have been checking on them regular. She was sat on the floor scratching a nest so i carefully placed her in the nest box, she got comfy scratching around and was in there 45 mins or so but when she emerged back into the run there was no sign of any egg anywhere. she doesnt seem to be in any distress. I also placed a golf ball in each of the nest boxes to encourage laying in the nest.
Can anyone please shed any light on what is happening and is this normal or not?
Thanks
Gareth

Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Re: New to the forum Hi all

Post by Grannyof4 »

Hello and welcome...quite normal behaviour for chickens with "L" plates on. They can get a bit confused at first. Mind you some chickens will never learn where they should lay!!! but don't worry they are being quite normal.
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

Welcome )t'

I would say yes, it's her instinct kicking in if she is nesting/ trying to lay. Eggs from her won't be long
little brown hen
Legendary Laner

Post by little brown hen »

:-D Welcome to the Lane. :-D As she is young, she might just be coming into lay and is practicing.
Mum to Sox and Boo,and hens, Bramble,
Belle,Bourbon,Holly,Ivy, May and June
RIP Daisy my cat,and Spice, Clara, Alice, Biscuit, Cookie Clarice and Henrietta. Over rainbow bridge, but never forgotten.
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

Hi

Welcome to the Lane :-D

All good advice above, she'll get the hang of it )t'
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
silverback
Legendary Laner

Post by silverback »

Hi Gareth and welcome to the lane )t' .
Sound quite normal to me, especially if they are just starting to lay!, they will settle down. As for the nesting etc, if there is one thing that I have learnt with mine, despite having two nest boxes, that they will lay their eggs where they feel most comfortable! :shock:
There is a wealth of knowledge on this forum, so any questions just ask away! )t'
I am old and wise, because I was young and stupid!.
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

)wav( hi from me too, that's great your girls are settling in so well, enjoy the chicken watching - and eggs.
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
manda

Post by manda »

Hi there ...nothing to add but welcome from me too :-D )wav(
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

Welcome to the Lane :-D
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
marianc
Learner Laner

Post by marianc »

)wav( Hi and welcome from me. As said above all normal.
Marianx
madmum
Legendary Laner

Post by madmum »

Welcome from me too :-D
If you always do what you always do ,you will always get what you have always got!
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Welcome to the lane, a mine of helpful information and advice. Best wishes with your hens.
perchy

Post by perchy »

Hello and welcome to the lane from me too )t'
garethj
Learner Laner

Post by garethj »

Hi guys

Thanks for the warm welcome and thanks for putting my mind at ease i can sleep easy tonight knowing my girl is ok )t' .
perchy

Post by perchy »

garethj wrote:Hi guys

Thanks for the warm welcome and thanks for putting my mind at ease i can sleep easy tonight knowing my girl is ok )t' .

We have all thought things were odd until we asked and seemed every chicken keeper has been through it :oops: