Fox attack :(

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
blatfarm
Lively Laner

Re: Fox attack :(

Post by blatfarm »

So sorry to hear of the attack.We had a few attacks last year. Unfortunately there is a fox den in a neighbouring field. I mentioned this to an old poultry farmer and he gave me a few tips. I now have pairs of solar lights (£1 each from a well known bargain store) dotted around, especially near clumps of high grass as the moving grass makes the "eyes" appear to blink. I also regularly collect sacks of hair from the local barber, must be male hair, and scatter it around the outside of their area, through the area around the coop. Barber thinks i have some weird kink, but small price to pay. I also collect my urine in a bottle as i work round the place and scatter it around. Again must be male urine. Im told that a ram in the field would also help but obviously not suitable for domestic setups.
We have no electric fencing and the foxes continue to raid neighbouring properties but we have had nothing since these measures were put in place.
Worth a shot, costs next to nothing, and seems to work.
Just goes to show, listen to old people. Except your mother in law.
Keeper of a domestic zoo including 1 high maintenance wife, 4 kids, 2 Shar Pei dogs, 2 Bengal cats, 1 Parrot, 2 tortoises, 2 finches, oodles of tropical fish, 2 geese, countless amounts of chickens, chicks, ducks, and ducklings, and 8 rabbits. And I wonder why I am always tired!

LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

{rofwl} sorry ... I'm just trying to imagine the conversation that goes on after you've been in to the barber's!!
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

So sorry to see that two of your poor little girls were killed by foxes. It must be dreadful to find them after the attack. I'm glad that little Boo is recovering and will send out healing thoughts for her.
I also feel sorry for your partner. Yes he did do the wrong thing through mistaken kindness but he must be feeling so bad about it.
For you all {hug} {hug} {hug}
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
julie62
Legendary Laner

Post by julie62 »

So sorry - it seems to happen to most people at some time - I'm always on pins when they're out and about x
Julie

“cockerels may crow but it's the hen that lays the egg."
wendy

Post by wendy »

Aww a fear we all live with and it has all been said.
I wish Boo a speedy recovery
{hug}
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
debby
Lively Laner

Post by debby »

ahh bless poor boo lots of {hug} to her xx
Dave the springer, 2 cats, Boo, Gizmo. 3 ex batts Mopsy, Thelma & louise. bluebell Matha,buff orp Gertie,rode island Kentucy, cream legbear Lola,
oh and the 2 teenagers !!!!!!!

R I P flopsy, miss our cuddles xx
wendy

Post by wendy »

Reading the mail about the solar 'blinking' lights.
That would probably work for Country foxes, but not our surburban I ones.
We see them out at all hours day and night. They are not frightened by headlights or people. Most morning when I walk the dogs, I see one walking along the road, like a feral dog.
We have had them sitting on our front step and sitting in the middle of the road opposite, at about 11 in the morning. They are bold little things a blinking light isn't going to worry them I am afraid.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
silverback
Legendary Laner

Post by silverback »

Sorry to hear that Novastar {cry} , hope Boo has a speedy recovery )t' .

Time for the OH to get a shotgun!.. )reap(
I am old and wise, because I was young and stupid!.
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

What Wendy said, town foxes are very different from rural foxes and are scared of nothing. Quite a few small cats here have killed by foxes and I am amazed that more rabbits and guinea pigs are not killed as many of the hutches and runs seem flimsy.

So sorry to hear of your terrible trauma and I hope your OH isn't feeling too bad. You were unlucky foxy could easily have taken them in daylight while one of you was chatting at the front door or something. Foxy had obviously been watching and waiting for his chance.

I hope your remaining hen pulls through what a clever girl hiding herself like that but witnessing the fate of her friends must have been hideous for her.
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

So sorry to hear what's happened to your girls, that's awful. Sending you all {hug}
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
annen1
Lively Laner

Post by annen1 »

So sorry to hear about your girls. Wishing Boo a quick recovery. {hug}

We've had a fox in the garden mid morning even with the back door open and two dogs going in and out.
1 hubby, 2 grown up kids, 2 rescue dogs, 7 chickens (Goldline, White Sussex, Bluebell, Marans and 2 ex batts), 1 cockatiel, tropical and pond fish.

RIP Blondie (ex batt May 2011-May 2012)
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

So sorry. {cry}

Hope little Boo makes a full recovery. {hug}
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
madmum
Legendary Laner

Post by madmum »

Poor you {hug}
If you always do what you always do ,you will always get what you have always got!
Bridgets Mum
Longlasting Laner

Post by Bridgets Mum »

Thats dreadful, everyone on this forum must know how much you love your girls. Much love and healing energy to Boo. And look after your partner, he must be feeling dreadful and everyone gets it wrong sometimes. A lesson for us all.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Oh Novastar, the fox attack must have been horrific, and your little Boo, what a shocked state she must be in. So sorry that you lost two of your girls.

I free ranged mine until a couple of months since when my neighbour who has banties a couple of doors away said he had heard a fox in the early morning. Since then they have been confined to their run.

Hope by this time next week that Boo is back to normal.