Introducing ourselves

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
RAM
Lively Laner

Re: Introducing ourselves

Post by RAM »

Hello there! )wav( I'm a newbie too, and I just love this forum :-D
Proud owner of Guinness, La Bon Bon, Lady GaGa, Bubbles, Biscuit (the girls), Henry (who masqueraded as a girl!), 3 dogs, 1 tortoise, 2 fish, 1 princess alexandra parrott, 3 teenagers and an other half!

mimsy-grey
Lively Laner

Post by mimsy-grey »

Hi all, thanks for the lovely warm welcome :D
As we haven't had chickens before (though my mum and dad used to have them) we are going for posh ones lol.....to begin with, once we are confident in looking after them, we would like to give a nice loving home to some ex bat girlies. I just checked with the chap today to see which Point-of-Lay he has available and am so excited to hear he has all of the breeds we want.....Light Sussex, Bluebell and Cuckoo. One question whilst I am here, would those three be of fairly equal size to each other? You know, we don't want to be dealing with too much of the 'i'm bigger than you' stuff lol (well more than is normal anyway) Originally we had wanted four to start with....and whilst the coop and run specs say for four, looking at it these last few days in situ, we can see that the run would be too small for four girls. Already looking at constructing a walk in (think I mentioned that earlier) but that will be done depending on what bills drop on the mat and when! Have spent hours today reading from the last page forwards all through the forum lol, it is as you say, very! addictive! Mimsy x
RAM
Lively Laner

Post by RAM »

I've got a cuckoo maran, light sussex, bluebelle, goldline, and bovan nera. The sussex, bluebelle, and maran are quite big birds, my other two are a little smaller, but i have to say the smaller girls are more confident :-D
Proud owner of Guinness, La Bon Bon, Lady GaGa, Bubbles, Biscuit (the girls), Henry (who masqueraded as a girl!), 3 dogs, 1 tortoise, 2 fish, 1 princess alexandra parrott, 3 teenagers and an other half!
Tony H
Lively Laner

Post by Tony H »

welcome to the nut house :-D full of mad people who let our chucks take over )b( you will find so much info and help on here ask away. PS you will never look back chucks take over {rofwl} good luck
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Welcome to the Lane from me too. I can't recommend this site enough, so much information on it, so many kind, helpful people. I wish you all the very best in getting your set up going and your girls.
silverback
Legendary Laner

Post by silverback »

Hi Guy's, and welcome from me as well )wav( .
Fantastic bunch of people on here, just one rule to remember "lots of pictures" for Perchy, or it will be the naughty step for you both!! )scare( .
Try looking at the members coop/runs, you can get some great ideas from this )t' .

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5920
I am old and wise, because I was young and stupid!.
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

Welcome.I have nothing but praise for DTL. Hope you enjoy your time here...............Lyn
LYN
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

Hello and beware the disease known as chickenitis, if after having your hens for a week you start thinking about getting another 6 birds then you will know you have caught it.

Best of luck with your feathered friends
mimsy-grey
Lively Laner

Post by mimsy-grey »

oooh Silverback, I spent a good couple of hours with Grey looking at the members piccies of their set ups! Has given us some great ideas....and the idea of expanding is far less daunting now that we can see what others have done! Grey is working tonight, but i'm betting he will be looking in in the wee small hours, whilst initially it was me that wanted girlies +f+ , he warmed to the idea very quickly and now its 50/50 on the excitement stakes )c( )c( and as for piccies....they go without saying....we love to share :D
Thanks for that info Ram, when you say your smaller girls are more confident, would you say the bigger girls are more warey? you know, not liking to be picked up and such? Or that the smaller girls are more........feisty lol. I shall be picking your brains...not literally of course. Lol Mrs B I am afraid I am already contagious hehehehhee

Thanks again everyone
silverback
Legendary Laner

Post by silverback »

mimsy-gret wrote:
whilst initially it was me that wanted girlies , he warmed to the idea very quickly and now its 50/50 on the excitement stakes

You wait till you start tasting the eggs! )eat( , all your cakes, yorkshires, and breakfasts will never taste the same again )t' .
I am old and wise, because I was young and stupid!.
milli
Longlasting Laner

Post by milli »

Hi and welcome from me too )wav( we have posh girls and ex-batty girls. They are all wonderful little characters, but the those ex-batty girls have the edge and really wrap themselves around your heart. :-D
15 ex batty girls, 2 rescue jack russels and one very naughty Shih Tzu puppy who rules the household!!!
manda

Post by manda »

Hi there and welcome to the Lane from me too...
They are all pretty much even in size in the hen world but I wouldn't worry too much about sizes you would be amazed how the pecking order sorts itself sometimes the smallest hen is the one who's in charge :-D
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
perchy

Post by perchy »

Hello and welcome from me too )wav(

I think you will get the gist of pictures are a must, although I don't use the naughty step in the winter, it is too cold yike*

We all have chickenitus, and Obsessive Chicken Disorder )grin2(
mimsy-grey
Lively Laner

Post by mimsy-grey »

Good morning all! How to tell I am totally hooked on becoming a henny mama?? Finding myself looking in here BEFORE facebook! My virtual hens and crops were left to wither n wilt yesterday, and today will be the same, so much to read here! Every morning, come rain, snow or shine I come sit in the gaze bo, hugging a large latte (you will get to know me and my passion for latte's lol) and catch up with the world online....our little hen house is right beside our sitting area, only 3 more sleeps and I shall be sharing my mornings with 3 little girls for company! Milly our border collie has been taking more notice of the new house since I put in the straw and wood shavings....she knows! something is afoot hehehehe.
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Morning Mimsy & Grey,
Greetings and welcome to The Lane )wav(
No question is a silly question here )t'
Dom & Ali
Ali Woks My World