Chicken been pecked to death nearly...

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Becky87
Lively Laner

Chicken been pecked to death nearly...

Post by Becky87 »

i posted the other week about a chicken that i thought wasn't very well but she got better )t'

i got home from work today and realised another chicken wasn't acting her normal crazy self. after further inspection i noticed that she has been pecked very very bad to the point its gone through her skin so shes booked into the vets at 4:40. i am now wondering if thats why the other chicken is still a bit scared (i have checked her and no sign of pecking)

so do i get rid of the naughty chicken so it doesn't happen to the rest?

there is enough room for at least 7 chickens in my run, they have boredom pecking blocks and i even let them out to free range.

any help would be appreciated...

p.penn

Re: Chicken been pecked to death nearly...

Post by p.penn »

Pecking is always a tricky one I'm afraid. It could be that your hen wasn't too well anyway - the others can sense that and attack on occasions.

Or there was maybe a small injury with some blood (even a spot can do it) and the others have gone for it as they are attracted to blood and will peck it.

Hope the vet sorts her out for you.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

Sorry I don't have any advice to give but that is what happened to my Dot, the evil ones had pecked her head right down to the bone and the lovely vet had to staple the wound together.

Dot is fine now but very timid with the other hens and clingy to me.

I just make sure there are lots of places she can go to escape the bullies and now she has small food and water containers by her favourite perch so she can at least eat in peace now.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Poor little thing. I hope she gets sorted. When Lizzie was ill last week, Lottie was pecking her, and we divided the run into two, so that Lizzie was left in peace.
Becky87
Lively Laner

Post by Becky87 »

while i have been waiting to take her to the vets i took her back to the place i got her from and they said just put purple spray on and loads of it and see how she goes?? because in her self shes fine its just this injury.

im devastated, things like this makes me not want to keep chickens.
julie62
Legendary Laner

Post by julie62 »

It can be upsetting I know when you see their instincts kick in - the main thing is to make sure they dont see blood - if they see blood they can be absolutely vicious. Could you separate her during the day if she's got an injury they can see (until it's healed) - one of mine has a sore vent with blood showing when I first got them and they literally wouldn't let her out of the house - I put her in a dog crate for a couple of days so they couldn't get at her until it was healed and things were ok then. How much room have they got? Is there anywhere she can get away from them if necessary.

Good luck at the vets )t'
Julie

“cockerels may crow but it's the hen that lays the egg."
jackian
Legendary Laner

Post by jackian »

I have 2 "new "girls in a seperate pen from my old girls. On Saturday I decided to let them free range together letting the new ones out first..Every thing was mostly fine except every so often one of the "old " girls (my dear sweet Poppy .ang. ) would go for both of them chasing and then pecking .So yesterday they FR seperately and everything was fine .The old girls did not like it one bit , locked up able to see the new ones running around...I will keep the seperation up as long as I have to .
4 lovely girls~~ Clover, the oldie and top chick Bonnie second in command .new girls Bluebell and Blossom.
2 lovely new girls 19-01-2015~~ Chelsea and Ruby.
Eva , Florry , Poppy ,Annie and Rosie R.I.P
The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.” - unknown
Essex Bird
Lively Laner

Post by Essex Bird »

Hi, sorry to hear the trouble youve been having, in my first 6 months of keeping the girls I had 6 killed and 6 injured, I built a separate coop named hennies hospital but it still kept happening, in the end I separated the bad girls and renamed the hospital Cell block H.
the 3 bad girls ended up as 1, rocky, i named her before I found out!
she has been on her own for about a year now, coops are back to back with joining runs, so they can see eachother and I let them all freerange together, but even now the other girls are very wary of her.
I think she is slightly psychotic?
anyway as mentioned about, lots of purple spray and do what you think is right for the good of the team.
{hug}
Mandy
x
live long and prosper
ey ey ya yeye ey i killed my mother.... la la la la la la la lalala gringo
http://mandysgarden.blogspot.com
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

Sorry to hear about the trouble you're having, hope she makes a good recovery. {hug}
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Hi,

These thing's do happen, usually they sort themselves out, but sometimes we have to intervene with some separation.

Essex Bird -

As you asked the question, that is a huge amount of loss. If you feel the culprit is 'psychotic', maybe you should consider re-homing.
It is possible she has a problem, as in health rather than character.
Although I hate saying this, if you felt she is not right and continuously causing death to your flock, you may think about seeing the Vet with her.

We had an instance once before where a Chicken was over the top with other birds. After the owner had tried every angle and with the wellbeing of other Hen's, she had to do the inevitable.

I guess if humans and many other creatures can have mental problems, so can Chickens?

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I had a very aggressive hen once - she pecked all the others. I separated for a while then when I put them back together it was back to square one.

My daughter took her and put her in with her hens and had no more problem. She had a cockerel too though.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Essex Bird
Lively Laner

Post by Essex Bird »

Richard wrote:Hi,

UEssex Bird -

As you asked the question, that is a huge amount of loss. If you feel the culprit is 'psychotic', maybe you should consider re-homing.
It is possible she has a problem, as in health rather than character.
Although I hate saying this, if you felt she is not right and continuously causing death to your flock, you may think about seeing the Vet with her.

We had an instance once before where a Chicken was over the top with other birds. After the owner had tried every angle and with the wellbeing of other Hen's, she had to do the inevitable.

I guess if humans and many other creatures can have mental problems, so can Chickens?

Richard )t'

Thanks Richard,
I do feel she maybe bi polar or similar other than that extremely healthy! She has a good life and everything possible provided for her including freeranging, I just have to keep my eye on her!
I couldn't possibly give her away incase she kills again and pts is not an option for me.
I suppose if I were a farmer she would b the first in the pot!
Mandy
x
live long and prosper
ey ey ya yeye ey i killed my mother.... la la la la la la la lalala gringo
http://mandysgarden.blogspot.com
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Hi,

Good. It was the fact you asked a question and no one had answered.

If she's out of harms way and enjoying herself - great )t' )t' )t'

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Becky I do hope she is okay now? I know how you feel when you say it makes you not want to have chickens but its some girls nature I am afraid thank goodness they are not all the same and you can enjoy the good girls
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
pamela
Lively Laner

Post by pamela »

i think chickens can be very like humans i noticed the 1 who gets bullied the most turns into the 1 who is the bully when a new 1 arrives >fi<
doggy daft maybe just daft