Travelling home

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
mimsy-grey
Lively Laner

Travelling home

Post by mimsy-grey »

Ok please forgive my ignorance here, but how big will my 3 Point-of-Lay girlies be? (Bluebell/Cuckoo/light sussex) I have prepared a box for them, made nice round air holes along each side, it opens at one end, and have made a little closure thingy (they will travel home on the back seat with me) the box is 9 inches tall, 19 inches long and 15 inches wide, laid newspaper and straw in the bottom. Will the three of them be ok in there? or should I find another box?

julie62
Legendary Laner

Re: Travelling home

Post by julie62 »

Sure someone with more experience will be along but 9 inches tall might be a bit small - when I first got mine my first thought was "Gosh aren't they big!" if they stand up they're quite a big bigger than that )t'
Julie

“cockerels may crow but it's the hen that lays the egg."
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

Hi

When I've collected chooks, I generally fit 2 into our cat basket. A crisp box (the catering boxes from pubs etc) will normally hold 3 perfectly )t'
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
mimsy-grey
Lively Laner

Post by mimsy-grey »

okey dokey...bigger box! thank youuuuuuuu :D
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

They squat down and huddle together in the car. You don't want them walking about.
Might have a job getting them in if it's 9" high and opens at the end.
Think of a sheet of A4 each, that gives them plenty to sit, e.g. the size of a nest box. And they sometimes squeeze more than one into the nest box when they want to sleep together.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
mimsy-grey
Lively Laner

Post by mimsy-grey »

Ok have made a lovely box, and will be ideal should we have to ever bring them indoors overnight due to ten foot snow drifts or epic floods lol...I found it difficult picturing what size they will be now, rather than when they are fully grown lol. Just been sitting out in the gaze bo....staring at the lil cottage....and checked inside again, it was actually much warmer in there than outside...but I added more straw and wood shavings to be sure. I can't believe we are going to fetch them in the morning! almost there! yippeeeee! )c(
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

Enjoy!!

)app(
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

Just one more sleep )c(
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
jackian
Legendary Laner

Post by jackian »

The very best of luck , but I am sure that you won't regret it and I am doubly sure the girls will change your life for the better )t'
4 lovely girls~~ Clover, the oldie and top chick Bonnie second in command .new girls Bluebell and Blossom.
2 lovely new girls 19-01-2015~~ Chelsea and Ruby.
Eva , Florry , Poppy ,Annie and Rosie R.I.P
The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.” - unknown
julie62
Legendary Laner

Post by julie62 »

Good luck for tomorrow - they are great - don't forget to post some pictures )t'
Julie

“cockerels may crow but it's the hen that lays the egg."
Tony H
Lively Laner

Post by Tony H »

ooo when you get your bluebell home watch her run it will crease you up {rofwl} good luck with your chucks
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

Tony, change the pic :-D There is at least 2 of them already, be brave take a pic. )t'
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

Oooh I'm excited for you!! {hug}
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
mimsy-grey
Lively Laner

Post by mimsy-grey »

oooh guys and girlies! I (we) are sooooooooo excited!! (I could barely eat my lunch! hehehehe) We will be going in the morning, its only about 40 mins drive, so once they are home, we'll shut them in the coop for a couple of hours? then open the lil door and let them into the run if they want to come out and explore, a few meal worms might persuade them? lol and I shall take lots of photos don't worry!
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

Best of luck with them, you will waste hours if not days watching them at play.

Do you have names in mind or are you waiting to see your girls before naming them?