The neighbour has complained, can anyone help please?

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
MaxyMac
Lively Laner

The neighbour has complained, can anyone help please?

Post by MaxyMac »

we originally had three chickens and now have six. We've had the new ones for around eight months now.

We just came back from a shopping trip when the next door neighbour complained to my husband saying that one chicken is very noisy and has woken her lodger up on a couple of occasions. She said it was okay when we had three but since we've had the rest it's become a problem.

She has asked us to 'do something about it'. I'm not entirely sure what we can do to resolve the problem though. I don't think it's just one chicken, as the noise seems to happen when they are waiting to lay their eggs. We have two nest boxes in the coop, but they all lay at the back of the coop in the same area and it seems to end up with them being noisy.

We have a second 'little' rabbit hutch inside the run which they could easily lay in if they wanted, but they don't.

I have offered the neighbour eggs, but it hasn't helped...does anyone know what we can do, we couldn't bear to be without our lovely girls {cry}
Happiness is a warm chicken in your lap, a comb tickling your chin and an egg in your tummy!

mandaloon
Lively Laner

Re: The neighbour has complained, can anyone help please?

Post by mandaloon »

what time of the day are they making this terrible din? If it's after about 8am your neighbour has no leg to stand on , if it is at the crack of dawn try keeping them in the dark until a reasonable hour. Sounds like your neighbour may have other issues going on in her own life and is focusing on your hens instead of dealing with them.
MaxyMac
Lively Laner

Post by MaxyMac »

They are let out at around 7.30am and probably start the clucking any time between 8am and 9am, not constantly though - just on and off.
Happiness is a warm chicken in your lap, a comb tickling your chin and an egg in your tummy!
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Like Mandaloon says, it depends on the time of day. Our local EHO says that noise between 7am and 11pm is OK as long as it isn't at an horrendous level, so it might be worth ringing to enquire.
We had a complaint and got a letter from the council we rang them, they were very helpful and we've heard nothing since. That was about 18 months ago.
Dom
PS Just seen your update and I reckon you are alright but would be worth checking with your EHO )t'
Ali Woks My World
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

PPS I work nights and just put up with any daytime noises as you can't make the world stop just 'cos you work the opposite of everyone else.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
Orfy
Legendary Laner

Post by Orfy »

What type of environment do you live in?

If it's urban then they should expect noise.

If it's rural then they should expect chickens.

If they don't want noise then they shouldn't have neighbours.

Sorry, not very helpful I know but I'd tell them &%*£!!
Allotment http://taylorsplot.blogspot.com/
Orfy Blog (Food'n'Stuff) http://orfy.blogspot.com/
1xMaran 1xRIR 6xWarrens 2xMuts
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

We have birds shrieking and screeching outside while they are nesting. Blackbirds in particular are loud. Three pheasants which hang around make a horrendous noise. My neighbour's six dogs bark at all times, in unison. These are just animal noises, which we have to learn to live with. We have tractors, cars, motor bikes going past our house at all hours. It is all part of life. Noises which we accept.

Hope you have no more complaints from your neighbour.
MaxyMac
Lively Laner

Post by MaxyMac »

Orfy wrote:What type of environment do you live in?

If it's urban then they should expect noise.

If it's rural then they should expect chickens.

If they don't want noise then they shouldn't have neighbours.

Sorry, not very helpful I know but I'd tell them &%*£!!

{rofwl} {rofwl} {rofwl} {rofwl}

We live on the edge of an Estate in a village. There is a dairy farm a few fences away too...I wonder if they've complained about all the mooing as well!
Orfy
Legendary Laner

Post by Orfy »

I'd just ignore them or suggest if they don't like country sounds they go live in a town or city and put up with traffic, sirens, dogs etc.

Mine get noisy when they lay.
One of our neighbours had a rat in their garden and they tried to blame it on the chickens.
I asked them if the rat liked my garden so much how come it was in theirs?
Allotment http://taylorsplot.blogspot.com/
Orfy Blog (Food'n'Stuff) http://orfy.blogspot.com/
1xMaran 1xRIR 6xWarrens 2xMuts
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

Are you in your own property or rented. I know a lot of councils don't allow chickens in their rented properties. So if they complain to the council they we'll have a go.
MaxyMac
Lively Laner

Post by MaxyMac »

Maggie1 wrote:Are you in your own property or rented. I know a lot of councils don't allow chickens in their rented properties. So if they complain to the council they we'll have a go.

We own our homes, they're not rented.
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

I don't think much can be done about it as chickens can't be classed as a high noise level.
4pigs
Longlasting Laner

Post by 4pigs »

If you are legally allowed to keep your hens in the garden then i would speak to EHO so that if your neighbour makes another approach you will be fully aware of where you stand. I also used to work nights, and during the day (which is what i call the time you state) there is lots of various noise - it's just life. If the lodger doesn't work nights and isn't ill it would suggest that he/she is already waking up - and not because of a few hens - just naturally.
Try not to worry {hug}

Jo x
Panteg Produce
Legendary Laner

Post by Panteg Produce »

Some people need a real problem in life dont they!

{mr.angry}
Live a simple life and be happy , Rich.
Kernow

Post by Kernow »

Take one bottle of wine
Knock on the neighbour's door
Say "let's not fall out over this let us sit down and talk about this problem in a civilised manner"
Leave as friends