Are there companies/induviduals who will look after chickens

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Pipling
Learner Laner

Are there companies/induviduals who will look after chickens

Post by Pipling »

Hello,

this is my first post but I thought this was the most obvious place to ask this question :-D

I have a couple of lovely hens but I am going away for a week in August and have no-one who can look after them. My neighbour would usually pop accross and do it but she is also away. We live quite rural and I feel unable to ask friends in the nearby village if they would do it as it's quite a drive up and down, if you know what I mean. So my question is, are there companies that will come and let out and feed in a morning and then come back to lock up at night? and how do i go about finding someone?

I live in rural mid Bedfordshire

Thank you in advance

grandmaeileen
Longlasting Laner

Re: Are there companies/induviduals who will look after chic

Post by grandmaeileen »

Can't help I'm afraid as I live in Northumberland, but, the guy we bought our hens from also runs a chicken hotel, all you have to do is provide your own feeders and drinkers. There may be someone like that in your area, it's a worry trying to find someone you can trust. Cat and dog boarding kennels are so common but as chicken keeping is becoming more popular, you'd think people would cotton to the idea of boarding hens.

Best of luck with your hunt. )t'

ps welcome to the Lane :-D
Mother of two, stepmum to two, all grown up and flown the nest. Grandma to Lucy, who's 12 and is my best friend. Two dogs, 6 Gingernut Rangers, and one lovely hubby!

R.I.P. Queenie, Missy,little hen and Edna
Pipling
Learner Laner

Post by Pipling »

I never thought to ring the breeder :oops:

At the chicken hotel, do they get dropped off and picked up?
jacob123
Lively Laner

Post by jacob123 »

)wav( Hello Pipling, had had a quick search on the net for you and found this website...

http://bedfordshire.ninasnanniesforpets.co.uk/

Hope this is some help! >gl<

Jacob
jacob123
Lively Laner

Post by jacob123 »

Here is another site which may be of interest! :-D )t'

http://www.homealonedogwalking.co.uk/index.html

Jacob
mandaloon
Lively Laner

Post by mandaloon »

As a young teenager I earned good money during the summer holidays watering peoples gardens, looking after their chickens and even trusted with some prize breeding siamese cats, So finding a bored 13 year old with naff all to do in the summer holidays shouldn't be hard in a rual setting. I currently have a 12 year old in training for just such an event )grin2(
My cousin offers a boarding service but he's in norfolk, so not much good to you. contacting you local breeder seems like sensible advice if you cant find a willing teenager.
pegpuss
Lively Laner

Post by pegpuss »

I found a lovely lady by google searching "chicken sitting Nottingham" She has boarding facilities on her own land...lovely coops and runs that my ladies have made use of and been well cared for in. She charges £3.25 daily per run, not per lady, for a small flock. You might find something similar in your area...good luck!
Emma

Love my boy Sylvester and his current wives Beatrice, Gladys, Isabella, Juniper, Kitty, Lottie, Maud, Nora, Milly and Prudence. Gone but never forgotten Arabella, Clara, Dolly, Edwina, Florrie and Hilda.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I think there is one who posts on here, but I can't remember where she is based.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
MuddyHell
Learner Laner

Post by MuddyHell »

Hi there, We are taking our birds back to the breeder when we are on holiday. She runs "Hennels" so we will have peace of mind which is really reassuring. For the odd weekend we ask either neighbours or family to pop in, but I've already sussed out some local dogwalking services as a back-up.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I know a dog walker/pet sitter in Northampton who would do this locally, so as others
have said your local dog walkers probably would. Alot of chicken breeders also keep
a pen spare for hensitting, I've done this with mine a couple of times, I used to pay
about £25 for the week for the pen. I may be looking for somewhere too this year
for one of my hens & her 2 chicks, one is partially blind so needs extra tlc
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Pipling
Learner Laner

Post by Pipling »

Thank you for all your help and the links. I contacted my breeder and they didn't know of anyone at all who could do it but those dog walking links look helpful so i will ring them :) :-D