My wife's acer (changed by Mod)

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
zedhead
Lively Laner

My wife's acer (changed by Mod)

Post by zedhead »

I have got to the stage of planning the run and have cleared an area my only problem is that my wife's favorite Acer is in the middle of it, it stands about 1.5m high and the foliage starts about 40cm from the ground. My question is will the chickens damage it or will the cover benefit them.

If the birds and the bush can live together in harmony that would be great but if they would damage it it will need moving.

Thanks for looking
Barry

Note from MOD, Barry I had to change your cheeky thread title because it was a bit too cheeky for the forum.
Barry.

I had the day off when we did English at school, so apologize for my spelling and punctuation.

Mad Chick

Re: My wife's bush

Post by Mad Chick »

I would move it if you can )t'

Some bushes stand up well to chooks while others will be decimated within hours - an acer, with it's feathers leaves I think will be too tempting.
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

Personally I would move it as chickens seem to eat anything. It doesn't seem to big a plant so as long as you dig a big enough hole around the roots and get the rootball in one you should be OK.
sazchops
Legendary Laner

Post by sazchops »

I'd be very careful, I moved a plant next to an Acer ( hubbys favourite ) must have nicked a root, the acer promptly died. It is not really the best time of year for moving trees, make sure you give it lots of water. )t'
Sarah - slave to Cats Anthony, Elsa and Pippa, Chickens, Heidi, Fleur, Gabby and Marmite, R.I.P Cadbury
milli
Longlasting Laner

Post by milli »

I would move it too, I was told they wouldn't bother with my lovely Gertude Jekkyl ( sorry not sure about spelling her name ) roses, they demolished every leaf right up to the blooms, so just had stalks with flowers on the top {rofwl}
So if moving, I would dig a big hole, fill it with a bucket of water before moving the Acer with as big a root ball as you can get, and keep giving it a drink a day until it's settled in. Good luck and hope you don't lose it. Only other option is wait and see what the girls do and then move it later in the year. >fi<
15 ex batty girls, 2 rescue jack russels and one very naughty Shih Tzu puppy who rules the household!!!
Panteg Produce
Legendary Laner

Post by Panteg Produce »

I've moved our Acer many times and is still thriving,so I should move it while you can.

:-D
Live a simple life and be happy , Rich.
ChickyBoo4
Lively Laner

Post by ChickyBoo4 »

I'd definitely move it after watching the lengths our girls have gone to reach some tasty looking foliage {rofwl} better to be safe than sorry... >gl< >gl<
Happiness is a journey not a destination..............

I wish I was a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum. 'Cos how can you be grumpy. When the sun shines out your bum! :)
wendy

Re: My wife's acer (changed by Mod)

Post by wendy »

I moved an Acer a couple of years ago and it is still going strong.
But to be honest if you value a plant, I wouldn't risk it.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
zedhead
Lively Laner

Re: My wife's acer (changed by Mod)

Post by zedhead »

Thank you for the replies, I think we should move it, just got to find somewhere for it to go now, still not sure when the birds are coming so will leave it as late as possible.

You have a mind like a sewer Mod lol sorry new here

Barry
Barry.

I had the day off when we did English at school, so apologize for my spelling and punctuation.