1st time broody.....

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Linsi30
Lively Laner

1st time broody.....

Post by Linsi30 »

My ex-batt Henrietta became broody 2 weeks ago now. I'm lifting her out of the coop 3-4 times a day to eat and drink and then she potters for 10 minutes and then goes back in. Yesterday, I tried wrapping an ice pack in a flannel and placing it under her which she happily sat on. I went back an hour later and the ice pack is warm and she's happily sitting there! Can anyone suggest what to do next? I can't lock her out as the others lay in the morning so need access and i'm at work until 4 ish, so can't lock up when they've finished laying. :?

aceface
Legendary Laner

Re: 1st time broody.....

Post by aceface »

tell her this is just not on and you dont have time for this behaviour,not much help with this one linsi ive never had a broody hen sorry :-D
[center]HELPING THE LITTLE BROWN GIRLS OF THIS WORLD FIND FOREVER HOMES
Humble chicken maid to a happy little flock
Frankii Whippers leading the way with Dorey,Prila(aka Mrs Brown),Ann-a-Lou Greta, Delphine my adorable silkie,my twin girls Lana and Boudica (aka The Jedward Twins ) ,Augustine Eizabeth(aka Pippy), Rheima, Marnie and Fleur aka little miss chatterbox[/center]

Still loving and missing Skinnie Minnie and Queenie xx

Marlene you taught me how to live and laugh again xx

Isabella my darling top hen ,you stole my heart xx

Porscha my sweet little girl ,you left so suddenly xx
Linsi30
Lively Laner

Post by Linsi30 »

{rofwl} I get married in 2 weeks and need her to stop her silliness as we're away for a couple of nights. I'm worried that my neighbour won't have the time to be kicking her out several times a day and she'll starve! :oops: Although, I do feel sorry for her. Bless her. All she wants is a baby..... {cry}
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

)ot: hadn't realised you were getting married in a fortnights time Linsi. Have you joined in the All things wedding thread on the members chat? We'd love to hear more about your plans.
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
Shrek
Lively Laner

Post by Shrek »

All I can suggest is to persevere with her, keep chucking her out as and when you can. Our Maggie was broody for almost two months eating very little and sporting an evil temper to match. We kept forcing her to "mingle" with the others and giving her morsels as often as we could.

She's fine now, yours will be too in time.
One elderly cat called Chloe and Zak the baby tom.... Betty the Speckledy, Maggie the Black Rock and Kylie the Bluebelle !!!
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I agree, keep at it, keep changing the icepack, keep taking her out & distract her with some treats with the others. Could you close the coop for a couple of hours when
the others have finished laying? She should just snap out of it eventually (hopefully!)
especially at this time of the year.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Linsi30
Lively Laner

Post by Linsi30 »

Thanks for the advice. Sounds like I'm doing all I can. I'll keep kicking her out when I can. She was not impressed today when I had all the coop open for cleaning. As soon as I finished she trotted straight back in and positioned herself. She hasn't laid since day 2 of her broodiness. Miss Ellie I haven't posted on the other thread. Maybe I should take a look. )t'