7 weeks on.....

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Mumma J
Lively Laner

7 weeks on.....

Post by Mumma J »

...and what a difference in my girls!
I brought them home on the 3rd July as shy, nervous little chooks. And now it's like they've always been there.
They've adapted to life in my small urban garden and now run the joint. They are already used to my 2 (ahem, noisy) children and the children absolutely LOVE them. They come running when called, are very good at being handled, chat away to me when i'm in the garden, get into the house whenever they're given the opportunity (found 3 in the play room the other day!!) and 3 of them give me an egg each day. Patiently waiting for the baby of the bunch, my little Amber Aunty Jean, to start laying and my 4 yr old daughter proudly announces to any person visiting the house that Aunty Jean is 'stooping' so will start to lay shortly {rofwl}
They are a constant education and endless entertainment. I love the fact that their combs are all different (simple things!), that their feathers all feel different (i think i could tell which was which with my eyes closed) and they have such individual personalities. My friends love them, their eggs taste great and i'm not a religious person, and never say 'Grace' before a meal, but always find myself 'giving thanks' to them when i eat one of their eggs!!!
I LUUUURVE them {hug&kiss} , they're beautiful and i just wanted to share that with others who understand.
That's it, gush over :oops: , thanks for listening!!
x
Mum of 2 children, 4 cats, 1 ancient fish and 5 Pekins!

perchy

Re: 7 weeks on.....

Post by perchy »

What a beautiful post, I love reading the excitement and happiness in other's posts {hug}

"stooping" {rofwl} {rofwl}
Mumma J
Lively Laner

Post by Mumma J »

Amendment-bought them home 3rg August!!!
>du<
tosca100
Lively Laner

Post by tosca100 »

Lovely gush. I know exactly what you mean. :-D
Because my memory is not brilliant......http://debrazzaman.blogspot.com/
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

Glad it's going so well )t'
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
Linsi30
Lively Laner

Post by Linsi30 »

Gush away. We totally get it! )t'
manda

Post by manda »

Life BC (before chickens ...I'm not religious either :-D ) is soon forgotten isn't it and you wonder what you did before they lived with you....so glad you are enjoying them....
Hang onto that thought when it's the middle of winter and it's cold and muddy - it will get you through to next Spring when it goes back to being lovely again )grin2( {rofwl}
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

You quite like them then :-D
LYN
Mumma J
Lively Laner

Post by Mumma J »

Oh, they're ok i suppose!! +f+
I'm sure winter is a different ball game but i've always had horses (not any more-time, money etc) so am used to the all the husbandry chores in horrid weather, the dark mornings and evenings and the mud, so i'm thinking it wont be too much of a culture shock! >fi<
s33xpt
Lively Laner

Post by s33xpt »

Mumma J wrote: I love the fact that their combs are all different (simple things!), that their feathers all feel different (i think i could tell which was which with my eyes closed)
x

I also think their feathers all feel different and wonder why.....guess some use conditioner in their dust baths and some don't {rofwl}
sharing my home with Kasa the Kelpie Dog, Trouble & Chaos the cats, 8 ex batts and an ever suffering animal suffocated OH
jackian
Legendary Laner

Post by jackian »

Oh ! there is nothing like having chickens to change the priorities you have on life.Having my girls was a change in our lives .. Grass,flowers or chickens ..no contest. )t'
I am so glad they have settled in well .. )piicy(
4 lovely girls~~ Clover, the oldie and top chick Bonnie second in command .new girls Bluebell and Blossom.
2 lovely new girls 19-01-2015~~ Chelsea and Ruby.
Eva , Florry , Poppy ,Annie and Rosie R.I.P
The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.” - unknown
lynniepinnie
Longlasting Laner

Post by lynniepinnie »

Chickens are ace aren't they? {hug} I love all animals but am still surprised how much I love my chickens....even the naughty ones {rofwl}

I love the way they strut about looking superior around the other pets....they know they are important food providers +f+
3 dogs Harvey, Dylan and Betsy, 3 cats Merlin, Molly Mog & Lilly, 6 hens Eleanor, Eva, Ellen, Elizabeth, Hannah & Hetty 1 cockerel Frodo 3 Ducks Sarah, Winnie & Mary RIP Enid :( RIP Emily :( RIP Olga :( RIP Rosie :( RIP Ellie, RIP Evil Edna, RIP Esther :(
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

We feel exactly the same about our 4 girls! We've had them for 6 weeks now and don't know how we lived our life without them. Someone once said to me a life without chickens is like tonic without gin!! How right they were >eas2<
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx