Girls not eating Flubenvet

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
splitpin
Learner Laner

Girls not eating Flubenvet

Post by splitpin »

Hi All

I bought some flubenvet pelletsand started my girls on them friday - 4 days

the level of food does not seem to be going down and they have stopped laying

I know that they need to be on it for 7 days but if they are not eating it do I keep them on it until they have eating their normal weekly amount eben if it takes longer, or do I put them back on their normal food as it cant be healthy for them not to eat

Graham
the success of a person is not measured in money but in how many toys they have

stace
Legendary Laner

Re: Girls not eating Flubenvet

Post by stace »

Hi Graham

Little devils aren't they!

I would take the pellets away after the 7 days, as they will eat the required amount for their weight. If you feel they still may have worms (have you seen any?) Then you can always do them again in a few months time. I had the pellets for the first time last year and had the same problem, they seem to know there is something different in them. I put some down as a wet mash (not sure if you are supposed to) and they did seem to take a bit more that way.

Good luck )t'
Bev xx

http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
lynniepinnie
Longlasting Laner

Post by lynniepinnie »

Mine on the hand really like them and seem to eat more - they're so contrary :-D
3 dogs Harvey, Dylan and Betsy, 3 cats Merlin, Molly Mog & Lilly, 6 hens Eleanor, Eva, Ellen, Elizabeth, Hannah & Hetty 1 cockerel Frodo 3 Ducks Sarah, Winnie & Mary RIP Enid :( RIP Emily :( RIP Olga :( RIP Rosie :( RIP Ellie, RIP Evil Edna, RIP Esther :(
splitpin
Learner Laner

Post by splitpin »

Hi Bev

If they are not eating their normal amount of food, will they have taken the correct amount of medication

I have not seen worms but we have had them since December and thought it was right to worm them

Our 5 rescue hens were treated when we got them but the Barnevelders had not been

Graham
the success of a person is not measured in money but in how many toys they have
pepi
Longlasting Laner

Post by pepi »

Yet another example of hens playing mind-games with their owners }hairout{ you just cant win!!

Havent tried the flubenvet-pellets, but I know when I put flubenvet powder into their feed, the little wretches know and seem to think Im trying to poison them. Got around it by making a mash and adding a few bits of corn/titbits into it to tempt them, first thing in the morning, when they're hungrier after the night.

Another trick, but no good for you with the pellets, but got it from the downthelane experts - dipped half a grape into flubenvet powder, and fed one to each hen (i.e. chaos!they all love grapes!) every day for a week )hic(