Water

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
julie62
Legendary Laner

Water

Post by julie62 »

Well the water was frozen for the first time today and bad chicken mummy didn't notice till late morning :oops: .. just a reminder to everyone to check the water and dont forget to make sure they've got water on hand all day - I've filled up the spare glug tonight and will take it out in the morning to replace the frozen one.
Julie

“cockerels may crow but it's the hen that lays the egg."

julieann
Legendary Laner

Re: Water

Post by julieann »

Ours froze to so will start bringing it in at night and filling with warm water in mornings; I also put a hot water bottle underneath last year and this helped delay freezing. I have bought a new plastic water container which apparently holds 12 litres and has an outer layer so I'm hoping that will also give some protection. Good luck with the cold weather everyone!
Julie x
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

I've started bringing mine in at night too, it's a great tip (as usual from someone on here) and i add one of those heat in a click things which seems to delay it freezing during the day.
Stay warm everyone {hug}
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
tortzblue
Lively Laner

Post by tortzblue »

MissEllie wrote: i add one of those heat in a click things which seems to delay it freezing during the day.

'scuse me Ellie but what is a - heat in a click thing??? >shrug<
pepi
Longlasting Laner

Post by pepi »

beat me 2 it Tortzblue - Miss Ellie we demand to know what a heat/click thing is?!?!? {hug}

(Irish water frozen again this morning too!)
junemackenzie
Lively Laner

Post by junemackenzie »

Yes, I want to know too. What is a "heat in a click". I think I want one even though I do not know what it is......please tell us all )hlp>
aceface
Legendary Laner

Post by aceface »

i think miss ellie id talking about those things you heat up your hands with you click a little button thingy and a gel warms up , )t' no doubt she will put us out of our misery
[center]HELPING THE LITTLE BROWN GIRLS OF THIS WORLD FIND FOREVER HOMES
Humble chicken maid to a happy little flock
Frankii Whippers leading the way with Dorey,Prila(aka Mrs Brown),Ann-a-Lou Greta, Delphine my adorable silkie,my twin girls Lana and Boudica (aka The Jedward Twins ) ,Augustine Eizabeth(aka Pippy), Rheima, Marnie and Fleur aka little miss chatterbox[/center]

Still loving and missing Skinnie Minnie and Queenie xx

Marlene you taught me how to live and laugh again xx

Isabella my darling top hen ,you stole my heart xx

Porscha my sweet little girl ,you left so suddenly xx
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

I put the water in a large dog bowl with half a melon so if it freezes they have the juice of the melon
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

Sorry ladies, have only just see your questions.... Hope you haven't all expired from your desperation to know what a heat in a click is {rofwl}
Aceface is quite right, here's the link to the website
http://www.heatinaclick.com/
i click it and put it in the girls water feeder and it keeps it from freezing for a few hours )t'
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
blatfarm
Lively Laner

Post by blatfarm »

I have given up on drinkers altogether in the winter and now have loads of washing up bowls with tennis balls in. Easy to get the ice out when i substitute a fresh one and very easy to clean. Snapped enough brittle drinkers in my time to go back to low tech!
Keeper of a domestic zoo including 1 high maintenance wife, 4 kids, 2 Shar Pei dogs, 2 Bengal cats, 1 Parrot, 2 tortoises, 2 finches, oodles of tropical fish, 2 geese, countless amounts of chickens, chicks, ducks, and ducklings, and 8 rabbits. And I wonder why I am always tired!
pepi
Longlasting Laner

Post by pepi »

Im with you Blatfarm on the drinkers - I was gobsmacked (is that a UK word too?!) when I knocked over my drinker and it shattered!!!

How does the tennis ball in a bowl of water 'work' - surely the wet ball freezes too??

There must be an easy solution to this problem (apart from 1. bringing the drinker indoors or 2. having it plugged in/heated somehow) - its a pain in the b*m having 2 bring a kettle of water out in the mornings when you're balancing x bowls of warm mash!!

There must be a DTL genius out there who has the frozen drinker problem solved aka Blue Peter or McIver - surely??! >coc<

p.s. Miss Ellie, I was waiting with bated breath to find out what your 'heat in a click' thing was - a bit anti climax to discover it was merely a 'hand warmer' +f+ thought it would be far more exciting than that!!! )wav(
silverback
Legendary Laner

Post by silverback »

Have to say I have never had this problem, I bring in the water drinker every night with the food, empty the drinker and refill in the morning and back in the Walk-in-Run with the food!.

Then again I do live in the nancy south!! >shrug<
I am old and wise, because I was young and stupid!.
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Our girls have a drinker which they ignore and tend to drink from wherever rain water has gathered or from their variuos cauldrens which collect it. I was wondering if a plstic bottle filled with warm water and but into the resepticle(ooh look at me with the big words that i cant spell) would work. I might give it a try, and it will prob amuse the girls rather than seeing who can knack Hope in the fastest possible time )t' Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Skeksis
Longlasting Laner

Post by Skeksis »

Hi all

FYI the warmer the water, the more quickly it freezes. Bizarre but true so I always fill up with very cold water and have less freezing problems as a result.

Hth
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Skeksis wrote:FYI the warmer the water, the more quickly it freezes. Bizarre but true so I always fill up with very cold water and have less freezing problems as a result.

Yes I've heard that but I really don't believe it.

Someone devised a stand for the water with a nightlight under it to keep it warm in really cold weather.

Which is what the Winter Forecast is saying - below average temps (but they're not sure if it will be a lot below or a little)
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire