badly behaved chicken survey.

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

badly behaved chicken survey.

Post by Annie »

We all seem to have one in our flock, I was just wondering which breed is the naughtiest - I have a feeling the answer is ex batt but just for interest which one of your hens sits on the naughty step the most ?
For me its Fiddler the Speckaldy Hen , she is an escape artist and will not stay in the alloted chicken garden. Eck and I have blocked two or three escape routes but she always manages to find a new one. At the moment she flys up to the 5' fence that seperates us from the neighbours, wobbles her way along and behind the greenhouse and jumps down onto the monoblocked area. Now and again she overbalances when walking along the fence and ends up next door {warn} its a good job they don't mind me popping into their back garden to resue her. There are big shrubby bushes planted our side of the fence but she can get past them at the moment because they are bare of leaves . Funny isn't it , that she can get out but can't get back - just walks up to the little chicken gate and shouts 'I want to lay an egg, let me in' ?
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful

Mrs B

Re: badly behaved chicken survey.

Post by Mrs B »

Hmmm good question, mine tend to just be vicious rather than naughty.

Mogwai as you know was a nasty little beast but has mellowed since her moult, but Puddleduck the other columbine is the meekest hen to ever walk the earth.

No I don't think I have a really naughty one
sazchops
Legendary Laner

Post by sazchops »

Mrs B wrote:

If you lived with Mrs B would you be naughty {warn}
{rofwl}
Sarah - slave to Cats Anthony, Elsa and Pippa, Chickens, Heidi, Fleur, Gabby and Marmite, R.I.P Cadbury
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

sazchops wrote:
Mrs B wrote:

If you lived with Mrs B would you be naughty {warn}
{rofwl}

Nope! {rofwl} {rofwl}
LYN
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

Can't really say I have a badly behaved chook, although Sweetie did squeeze herself through the patio gate which no other hen has managed to do :? We had to put some more netting across it. No, I would say that I have perfectly behaved girls, (famous last words :-D )
LYN
jackian
Legendary Laner

Post by jackian »

My 2 Ginger nuts are the most likely to get into trouble more for being nosy than anything else ,and love to try new things out (Poppy the leader ,Rosie the follower) Clover my Pepperpot is as my OH says "A lady and should be wearing pearls" she just stands back and watches and tuts until she knows the others are not going to get told off and then she will join in .
4 lovely girls~~ Clover, the oldie and top chick Bonnie second in command .new girls Bluebell and Blossom.
2 lovely new girls 19-01-2015~~ Chelsea and Ruby.
Eva , Florry , Poppy ,Annie and Rosie R.I.P
The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.” - unknown
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

Definitely my oldest hen Pip - an ex batt.
Not only does she eat the eggs she's also been a bit of a bully in the passed {warn}
wendy

Post by wendy »

Never had one that I wring my hands over.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
sazchops
Legendary Laner

Post by sazchops »

Mine would be Heidi, Blacktail. Always the first to explore/escape. She is very noisy, shouts at me to fetch treats then shouts if they are not the right ones.
Sarah - slave to Cats Anthony, Elsa and Pippa, Chickens, Heidi, Fleur, Gabby and Marmite, R.I.P Cadbury
lynniepinnie
Longlasting Laner

Post by lynniepinnie »

Definately the reds :-D Evil Edna, Esther and Elsie are all naughty - they escape, peck me and terrorise the others - they are funny though and can also be the most affectionate when they're in the right mood. {hug} {hug}
3 dogs Harvey, Dylan and Betsy, 3 cats Merlin, Molly Mog & Lilly, 6 hens Eleanor, Eva, Ellen, Elizabeth, Hannah & Hetty 1 cockerel Frodo 3 Ducks Sarah, Winnie & Mary RIP Enid :( RIP Emily :( RIP Olga :( RIP Rosie :( RIP Ellie, RIP Evil Edna, RIP Esther :(
Sejjie70
Legendary Laner

Post by Sejjie70 »

It has to be Barbara & Margot the Leghorns. They've never liked sleeping in the hen house & spent most of their 1st summer with us either sleeping near the top of a tall larch tree or roosting with the young pheasants in the woods just down the track (though Doobs Orpington used to put his foot down with a firm hand & they've got into the habit of roosting in the hen house), they don't like laying in normal places (they prefer old ovens, other peoples sheds, cement mixers, lawn mower grass boxes...), they can be atrocious bullies & will bear a grudge against anything feathered they think has wronged them. They love tormenting the dogs & will often sit on the fence outside the living room window to annoy them (even coming & tapping on the glass to get the dogs' attentiion) & the poor cats do their utmost to avoid them. They regularly mob our postie & a few months ago they bullied Tufty until he was cowering in the track & when the poor postie stopped to rescue him they leapt into his van & made off with a bacon roll & a packet of humbugs. They also have us wrapped around their little wing feathers - they'll jump up on our knees for cuddles, pose for pics & generally be all sweetness & light towards eveyone & everything...until our backs are turned & they're up to their tricks again {rofwl}
Sarah.
Mum to 1 hubby, 4 children, 3 Springer Spaniels (Max, Millie & Buttons), 2 cats (Sox & Frankie), 2 rabbits (Crunchie & Munchie), 12 chickens (Target, Speckle, Barbara, Margot, EggieII, Gomez, Sparkle, Glitter, Wednesday & Isabel), 3 geese (Lister, Smeg & Camille) & 4 ducks (Soup, Anya, Marble & Vindaloo).
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

Can't decide between two-bob (light sussex) or tilly (aka Tilly, warren).

Two-bob is the escape artist and high wire performer. today's trick was to get onto the highest log in the logstore and then try to get through the top (old pallet). She then couldn't figure out how to turn round to get back out again.

Tilly is the one who refuses to follow the treat tin back into the outdoor run at the end of fr time. She moves like road runner and of course can get through narrow spaces that I can't.

None of this is awful, of course, and I love them all.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
chicks&cats
Legendary Laner

Post by chicks&cats »

You guys do make me laugh! Makes me think my girls are quite well behaved! {rofwl}
davina112
Legendary Laner

Post by davina112 »

Definately my 2 ex bats, they are adorable though. They caused me a little trouble with one of my neighbours are they constantly escaped and kept digging up people's plants yike*
They make my little bantams look like angels +f+
[center][/center]Davina
aceface
Legendary Laner

Post by aceface »

without a doubt it has to be my Dorey ,she boks the babies on the head ,when they are eating she flaps into the middle of them and stands on the edge of their dish tipping it over so they have to eat from the flor and then when i leave them in the coop to settle for bed i often hear lots of frantic bocking a squaking i go in and find her laid in the middle of thier little bedroom all snuggled up and i have no idea how she gets through the pop hole as she is such a big fat thing ,i have to open the door and get her out!!!!! but they say God loves a trier {rofwl} but bless her how could i be cross at her she isnt a nasty hen at all just a big,fat soft snuggly hen +f+ but very,very mischeivious
[center]HELPING THE LITTLE BROWN GIRLS OF THIS WORLD FIND FOREVER HOMES
Humble chicken maid to a happy little flock
Frankii Whippers leading the way with Dorey,Prila(aka Mrs Brown),Ann-a-Lou Greta, Delphine my adorable silkie,my twin girls Lana and Boudica (aka The Jedward Twins ) ,Augustine Eizabeth(aka Pippy), Rheima, Marnie and Fleur aka little miss chatterbox[/center]

Still loving and missing Skinnie Minnie and Queenie xx

Marlene you taught me how to live and laugh again xx

Isabella my darling top hen ,you stole my heart xx

Porscha my sweet little girl ,you left so suddenly xx