Sudden passing

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
amatureleccy
Learner Laner

Sudden passing

Post by amatureleccy »

Sad to get home tonight to find one of Sussex's dead in the floor of the run. The bird was ill some 6 weeks ago and lost all her weight. I was about to do the decent thing but noticed that she was eating and decided to wait. Sure enough she slowly put on weight and continued eating and drinking. She was never as energetic as the other birds but she looked happy enough. She definitely had sight problems and about a week ago I noticed her eye ball was red and the area around her eye socket was discoloured. She had just been through a course of flubonvet.

So I get home tonight and there she was. I inspected her crop and do not believe there were any problems there.

No obvious explanation.

Not looking forward to the morning when I will have to explain it to my daughters.

jackian
Legendary Laner

Re: Sudden passing

Post by jackian »

So sorry to hear that you have lost one of your lovely chickens . I have a poorly girl at the moment and she is "up and down" Did I really worry about my children so much? {hug}
4 lovely girls~~ Clover, the oldie and top chick Bonnie second in command .new girls Bluebell and Blossom.
2 lovely new girls 19-01-2015~~ Chelsea and Ruby.
Eva , Florry , Poppy ,Annie and Rosie R.I.P
The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.” - unknown
manda

Post by manda »

So sorry to hear about your chook....sometimes we know why they pass on but many's a time there's no obvious reason and they just fade away.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

Oh dear. I'm new to chickens so haven't lost one yet. I'm dreading it. I think you're supposed to think that this is a good opportunity to start introducing children to the cycle of life and death. When my two were small and we lost little pets, this isn't exactly how I was feeling and I guess you aren't either.

Good luck with your daughters; I'll be thinking of you because I know it won't be easy.

Bea
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
sarabee
Legendary Laner

Post by sarabee »

I'm sorry about your girl - sometimes you just don't know why {hug}
Sara

"Harm no living thing"

Brilliant hubbie, 2 great teenagers, Sasha the elderly dog and Fin, the evil but loveable cat! 3 chickens; Dottie, Gaia, and Buttercup
Night night Rhoda xx
Chi Chi
Longlasting Laner

Post by Chi Chi »

So sorry to hear that, its always so upsetting {hug} {hug} {hug}
chicks&cats
Legendary Laner

Post by chicks&cats »

Sorry to hear about your little chook. I hope telling your children went as well as it can {hug}
aceface
Legendary Laner

Post by aceface »

sleep tight little hen {cry} i hope your little ones are ok
[center]HELPING THE LITTLE BROWN GIRLS OF THIS WORLD FIND FOREVER HOMES
Humble chicken maid to a happy little flock
Frankii Whippers leading the way with Dorey,Prila(aka Mrs Brown),Ann-a-Lou Greta, Delphine my adorable silkie,my twin girls Lana and Boudica (aka The Jedward Twins ) ,Augustine Eizabeth(aka Pippy), Rheima, Marnie and Fleur aka little miss chatterbox[/center]

Still loving and missing Skinnie Minnie and Queenie xx

Marlene you taught me how to live and laugh again xx

Isabella my darling top hen ,you stole my heart xx

Porscha my sweet little girl ,you left so suddenly xx
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

{hug} {hug}
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen