The wonders of chickenhood

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

The wonders of chickenhood

Post by Freeranger »

Yesterday our girls were seen fighting over the poor cold flesh of a dead robin in the garden. Not their finest moment.

And then they redeemed themselves. Putting them to bed I did the customary headcount, and there seemed to be a couple missing. Investigating further, there were two in adjacent nesting boxes, and a third one on the divider between the two, spread over the bodies of the other chickens and stuffed in the gap between the dividers and the lid. They looked at me as though I had the problem, so I just laughed at them and left them to it!

Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Re: The wonders of chickenhood

Post by Benny&Co »

That's the best thing Free, leave 'um to it! :-D {hug}
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

They are better than the telly, aren't they? I thought I was one short the other evening so lifted the lid of the first coop to see how many were inside. Three brown hens. Looked in the second coop. Two white hens. OK then, so one brown hen missing.

The cold draft must have done something because suddenly a pile of straw heaved and out popped a brown one. With this, the other three in the coop went into panic mode for a moment.

I wonder if I've overdone the amount of bedding on the floor of the coop. I'm just trying to make sure that they're cosy.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

Start to worry when all you can see is the periscope!
grandmaeileen
Longlasting Laner

Post by grandmaeileen »

{rofwl}

Ours have been making nests out of the straw bedding the last couple of weeks, looks so cute, they know what they want do the girls {hug}
Mother of two, stepmum to two, all grown up and flown the nest. Grandma to Lucy, who's 12 and is my best friend. Two dogs, 6 Gingernut Rangers, and one lovely hubby!

R.I.P. Queenie, Missy,little hen and Edna
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

My girls make my day even when I'm at work and can't see them. Just thinking of their antics brings a smile to my face :-D We let our girls out into the 'big garden' for a treat yesterday because the grass was back and they hadn't been happy with the slushy snow the day before. We have a Ranger's whose brown and she'd managed to bury herself so well in a pile of leaves it took a few minutes (and a few palpatations :? )for us to realise where she was. She's a right devil and into everything )de:
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx