Sleeping In the Nest Box

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Sleeping In the Nest Box

Post by KathJ »

One of our girls has suddenly decided she want's to sleep in the next box. When I've check on them the last couple of nights she's been in there and this morning there was lots of poo so I guess she's spent the night there. Is it a problem or should I just let her carry on? She is a bit of a loner and does sometimes go and sit in there on her own during the day. Think she must need a bit of 'me time' away from the other three >dum<
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx

Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Re: Sleeping In the Nest Box

Post by Annie »

Just leave her be, she knows where she is comfiest. {hug}
Mine sleep on the nest boxes,in the nestboxes ,in a plastic dog bed and in the summer most decide to roost on perches. Chickens eh ?
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
bobsbabes
Lively Laner

Post by bobsbabes »

I have a couple that prefer the nest boxes to the perches as long as they are happy who are we to argue :)
Treating Titchy the globe trotting chook to a trip to Disney :)
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

All 4 of mine pile on top of each other in the nest boxes to sleep. I had one who liked to perch but even she prefers the box now. They are certainly fickle girls!
As the others have said I'd let your chook sleep wherever makes her happy )t'
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

All 6 of mine sleep in the nest boxes. The 4 brown girls only just fit - but they manage.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
pegpuss
Lively Laner

Post by pegpuss »

Mine too. They all sleep piled up on top of each other somewhere or other. It's usually in the nest boxes but sometimes in a corner of the coop. I gave up and removed the perches as they weren't a bit interested in them and they got in the way of cleaning.
As long as she's happy let her get on with it :-D
Emma

Love my boy Sylvester and his current wives Beatrice, Gladys, Isabella, Juniper, Kitty, Lottie, Maud, Nora, Milly and Prudence. Gone but never forgotten Arabella, Clara, Dolly, Edwina, Florrie and Hilda.
Brianfromdorset
Lively Laner

Post by Brianfromdorset »

If I was a chicken id choose to sleep in a nest box rather than a perch!
Mine went to sleep in the garden the other day and I had to carry them back to their coop!
pepi
Longlasting Laner

Post by pepi »

some of my lot too prefer the nest boxes.
Every morning when I let the girls out, I lift the lid on the nestboxes, each box is lined with newspapers topped with straw (COSY!) which is also topped with poo (sheesh!) which I lift up in its entireity and tip the poo off, and replace the paper/straw 'nest' - flick of the wrist!! +pinn+
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Girlies have minds of their own and they will sleep where they want to thankyou!
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
chicks&cats
Legendary Laner

Post by chicks&cats »

As long as she is happy )t'
grandmaeileen
Longlasting Laner

Post by grandmaeileen »

I've removed two of the perches out of the coop, and left one right at the back furthest away from the door and drafts. That's where all the poo accumulates +pinn+ But there is always a little nest made in the middle of the floor where they must arrange the straw and cuddle in! {hug}

A friend of ours has to go and clean out the nest boxes in his coop before his girls will lay their eggs as they sleep in their boxes.
Mother of two, stepmum to two, all grown up and flown the nest. Grandma to Lucy, who's 12 and is my best friend. Two dogs, 6 Gingernut Rangers, and one lovely hubby!

R.I.P. Queenie, Missy,little hen and Edna