Foxe Query

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Foxe Query

Post by KathJ »

I know you always need to be vigilant where foxes are concerned but does anyone know what months they are less likely to be a real danger to chickens?
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx

urbanchicks
Longlasting Laner

Re: Foxe Query

Post by urbanchicks »

sorry to say,none i think going on the information on this forum.

Maggie
HensAloud
Legendary Laner

Post by HensAloud »

I think all the time but even more so when they're feeding cubs in the spring.
Angela
Usually Barking Up the Wrong Tree
pepi
Longlasting Laner

Post by pepi »

I think URBAN foxes are always on the prowl for food...
The country foxes as HensAloud says are more active when feeding cubs in the spring, but then when the cubs are old enough to be taught to hunt is another dangerous time, and thirdly when the cubs are sent off to fend for themselves (on the grounds that there are more of them about, plus they are establishing their territories). At lease country foxes are mostly nocturnal - I dont think urban foxes are?

We have TONS of rabbits about these days, so the fox doesnt seem to bother us too much (barking terriers might be a deterrent hopefully) - having said that if your run and coop are safe, you will hopefully be ok. If the fox can get into your coop your hens are in trouble. (My friends hens, in stone shed, with wooden door thought her lot were safe - fox ate a hole in the bottom of the door to get in..... >dowhat< )
Hintza
Lively Laner

Post by Hintza »

We fight a constant war with the foxes. Three shot this year and two killed on the road all within half a mile radius.

Two flocks wiped out by the foxes in the same half mile radius.

Unless you get it right 100% of the time the foxes will get at your hens at any time of the year.
3 Speckeldy, 2 Speckeldy boys, 2 Speckeldy Offspring girls, 6 White Stars, 1 Cream Legbar. 2 Cuckoo Marans, 1 Black Copper Marans (The Delinquent:- BOY!!), 1 Barnevelder, 6 Hyline, 2 Minorca.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Not just hens either - heard on radio that a fox had attacked a baby
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
jonnybravo
Lively Laner

Post by jonnybravo »

their is no safe time,my frieda was taken in october in the garden when i was only 10 to 20 feet away from her,over the 5 foot wall grabed her and back over the wall.ten second's took it all in.You don't want it it's devastating.keep them safe all the time is all i can say.
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

Mo wrote:Not just hens either - heard on radio that a fox had attacked a baby

OH was listening to a debate on the radio about this. There is a pest control in London where they are 1 of the few that are allowed to carry a gun to shoot them. He said their record is in 1 night 17 foxes in 1 garden in London. The thing is if a persons dog went and did that it would be put down, I can't see any difference.
aceface
Legendary Laner

Post by aceface »

a ridiculous woman on the next road down from me is feeding two foxes at ipm every day i have spoken to her today and she wasnt happy i pointed the baby story out on the newspaper and spokeran about hens and peoples pets etc i could cheerfully stra**gle her }hairout{ iam on red alert ive had th efox and i never ever want to go through it again {cry}
[center]HELPING THE LITTLE BROWN GIRLS OF THIS WORLD FIND FOREVER HOMES
Humble chicken maid to a happy little flock
Frankii Whippers leading the way with Dorey,Prila(aka Mrs Brown),Ann-a-Lou Greta, Delphine my adorable silkie,my twin girls Lana and Boudica (aka The Jedward Twins ) ,Augustine Eizabeth(aka Pippy), Rheima, Marnie and Fleur aka little miss chatterbox[/center]

Still loving and missing Skinnie Minnie and Queenie xx

Marlene you taught me how to live and laugh again xx

Isabella my darling top hen ,you stole my heart xx

Porscha my sweet little girl ,you left so suddenly xx
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

Foxes are a complete menace here, all houses have wheely bins so it is not domestic bins that provide them with food.

They are worse than hoodies for keeping people awake at night screaming away.

I really don't like foxes