Hens For Hire

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
urbanchicks
Longlasting Laner

Hens For Hire

Post by urbanchicks »

Read this somewhere yesterday on another chicken forum, there is a chicken place hiring out complete packages to schools and care homes where they can rent a whole set up, schools can hire for a term,at end of term chickens can be looked after until wanted next term,there are no prices on their website but sounds like a good idea.Can only give web address as unable to do it via pb. www.hensforhire.co.uk :-D

Maggie

grandmaeileen
Longlasting Laner

Re: Hens For Hire

Post by grandmaeileen »

Sounds like a good idea. I suppose they must check out the security aspect of it before any hens a left at schools.
Would teach kids about looking after hens and where eggs come from.
Mother of two, stepmum to two, all grown up and flown the nest. Grandma to Lucy, who's 12 and is my best friend. Two dogs, 6 Gingernut Rangers, and one lovely hubby!

R.I.P. Queenie, Missy,little hen and Edna
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

I think it's a good idea for children to learn about chickens, eggs and how to look after them - but I can't help feeling a bit sorry for the chickens being passed from pillar to post :?
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
urbanchicks
Longlasting Laner

Post by urbanchicks »

Agree Bev.

Maggie.,
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

I always wondered how much I could get for my little darlings in any farm programmes +f+ Spotted tv chickens a lot this week, Heartbeat,Mad Max 2,Rosemary & Thyme. Wonder if they are paid extra fees :-D
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
grandmaeileen
Longlasting Laner

Post by grandmaeileen »

If mine were on tv, they would be the villains or the street gang that beat up the local kids!
Mother of two, stepmum to two, all grown up and flown the nest. Grandma to Lucy, who's 12 and is my best friend. Two dogs, 6 Gingernut Rangers, and one lovely hubby!

R.I.P. Queenie, Missy,little hen and Edna
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Benny&Co wrote:I think it's a good idea for children to learn about chickens, eggs and how to look after them - but I can't help feeling a bit sorry for the chickens being passed from pillar to post :?

School hens are going to be boarded out somewhere in the holidays, and some Laners use hennels when they are away, so if properly done maybe not much difference. Better than an unwilling parent taking them. And if the hens 'belong' to the firm there may be some back-up if they are ill.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
chicken_house_man
Lively Laner

Post by chicken_house_man »

Seems like a good idea to me.
We've provided housing to quite a few schools and this seems a perfect way for them to see if it will work in practise before committing to a larger project.