Mite Powder Query

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Mite Powder Query

Post by KathJ »

I don't know whether this comes under the 'silly questions' category but my girls currently have access to the greenhouse and love to dust bathe in the fine soil in there. I've read on previous posts about putting mite powder into the dust baths but I'm worried about putting it down in there because they also peck about in the soil and would end up eating it. Would it cause any harm if they did >dum<
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx

jackian
Legendary Laner

Re: Mite Powder Query

Post by jackian »

Mine have mite and louse powder in the large trug they use to dust bath .I am sure if it was harmful none of us would use it ,so I say it's fine ...only my opinion though
4 lovely girls~~ Clover, the oldie and top chick Bonnie second in command .new girls Bluebell and Blossom.
2 lovely new girls 19-01-2015~~ Chelsea and Ruby.
Eva , Florry , Poppy ,Annie and Rosie R.I.P
The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.” - unknown
aceface
Legendary Laner

Post by aceface »

jackian wrote:Mine have mite and louse powder in the large trug they use to dust bath .I am sure if it was harmful none of us would use it ,so I say it's fine ...only my opinion though

its a powdered form of fossilised shell )t'
if found and read this when i researched it, bit of a geek though when it comes to wanting to know everything bout everything ,sorry if it too boring but the pic of the marine diatoms is )t'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatomaceous_earth

i think it explains alot of what it does and why its safe for use ,hope it helps ,ive been using it 18 months in dustbaths and my lot seem ok
[center]HELPING THE LITTLE BROWN GIRLS OF THIS WORLD FIND FOREVER HOMES
Humble chicken maid to a happy little flock
Frankii Whippers leading the way with Dorey,Prila(aka Mrs Brown),Ann-a-Lou Greta, Delphine my adorable silkie,my twin girls Lana and Boudica (aka The Jedward Twins ) ,Augustine Eizabeth(aka Pippy), Rheima, Marnie and Fleur aka little miss chatterbox[/center]

Still loving and missing Skinnie Minnie and Queenie xx

Marlene you taught me how to live and laugh again xx

Isabella my darling top hen ,you stole my heart xx

Porscha my sweet little girl ,you left so suddenly xx
chicks&cats
Legendary Laner

Post by chicks&cats »

Do you use diatomaceous earth (DE) as your mite powder? As Ace has put already this is completely natural (Ace, we love your research )t' ). I don't know if there are other powders with other stuff in?
aceface
Legendary Laner

Post by aceface »

chicks&cats wrote:Do you use diatomaceous earth (DE) as your mite powder? As Ace has put already this is completely natural (Ace, we love your research )t' ). I don't know if there are other powders with other stuff in?

thanx chicks n cats i meant to say i put DE in dustbaths but as usual speed reading and omitting is my downfall )t'

it will say on the back of the tub whats in it so you can goggle things and see whats what {hug} i do this with all things i use on the hens :oops: sometimes i can be a bit chicken boring
[center]HELPING THE LITTLE BROWN GIRLS OF THIS WORLD FIND FOREVER HOMES
Humble chicken maid to a happy little flock
Frankii Whippers leading the way with Dorey,Prila(aka Mrs Brown),Ann-a-Lou Greta, Delphine my adorable silkie,my twin girls Lana and Boudica (aka The Jedward Twins ) ,Augustine Eizabeth(aka Pippy), Rheima, Marnie and Fleur aka little miss chatterbox[/center]

Still loving and missing Skinnie Minnie and Queenie xx

Marlene you taught me how to live and laugh again xx

Isabella my darling top hen ,you stole my heart xx

Porscha my sweet little girl ,you left so suddenly xx
chicks&cats
Legendary Laner

Post by chicks&cats »

aceface wrote: sometimes i can be a bit chicken boring

{warn} No such thing Ace.
julie62
Legendary Laner

Post by julie62 »

I use DE too - it seems to be the main ingredient in all the organic mite powders. You can buy big bags of it on fleabay and it works out much cheaper than the mite powders. I always sprinkle it in the hen house and on their bedding and never had any problems.
Julie

“cockerels may crow but it's the hen that lays the egg."
chicken_house_man
Lively Laner

Post by chicken_house_man »

It really depends on the ingredients. There are some that may contain pesticides but DE is safe as is the barrier powders.