HELP AND ADVICE PLEASE RE: DUCKS

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
junemackenzie
Lively Laner

HELP AND ADVICE PLEASE RE: DUCKS

Post by junemackenzie »

Hello Laners,

I am worried and would like your advice please. I have agreed to look after 3 ducks (she originally had 6 but two ate slug posion in their shed and the fox killed one). The person who has the ducks is going on holiday for 10 days. I have chickens, cats and a dog but no experience of ducks. I went to her house today to see what I had to do.

I arrived at 12.30 (un announced) and the ducks were still locked in their large shed. She showed me how to let them out and lead them into their large garden. They do not have food or water in their shed and went to their childs' paddling pool where they drank water immediately. I asked whether they actually go into the pond and she said they did. She told me that I only had to clean the paddling pool about once a week. I said but if they are going into it they will poo etc. and she said that did not matter. I was quite appalled at this thinking they are drinking water with their poo in it.

Please, please tell me: am I over reacting? My thoughts are that I should give them a separate clean drinking place every day but perhaps I am neurotic?

I have also been told I should just chuck some duck food out of the kitchen window for them each day. Obiviously I will have to lead them back to their shed at night.

I am sorry if I am being really over the top about this but I am worried. Please advise me. Thank you.

sandy
Legendary Laner

Re: HELP AND ADVICE PLEASE RE: DUCKS

Post by sandy »

I have looked after my neighbours ducks( I got them all rehomed while they were away but that is another story) No way should they be locked up at 12.30 they need access to water in all daylight hours. Do they have an actual proper pond? If they just have the paddling pool, yes they like dirty water but it becomes stagnant in a plastic container so it needs refreshing at least every 48 hours. I cannot believe some have had been allowed anywhere near slug pellets yike*
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
junemackenzie
Lively Laner

Post by junemackenzie »

Thank you for your reply Sandy. No they do not have a pond they only have the small childrens' paddling pool which they go in and drink from when they are out of the shed. I was told this needed changing about once a week! I am going to have a look online for duck water feeders, they must be available I am sure. I think I am going to have a difficult time getting these people to agree that anything is amiss but, when armed with good advice such as yours, I will give it my best shot. Thank you again
Steve valentine
Legendary Laner

Post by Steve valentine »

Ducks don't need a specific water drinker, any large receptacle will do, baking tray, sandwich box.

Mine have a small pond which gets cleaned when its looking murky. Their baking tray is changed minimum twice daily. They like to sit in it {warn}

Mine are in a fox proof run, similar size to the chooks, I don't close the pophole on the ducks due to the location of it (wind proof and weatherproof area) so they get up when they like. 12.30 is 5 hours at least too late at this time of year!

They'll probably be eating layers pellets, I give mine cucumber carrots and peas. They'll be your best friend forever for a handful of peas.
Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue.
junemackenzie
Lively Laner

Post by junemackenzie »

Thank you Steve, you advice is very helpful. :-D I have a couple of recepticals in mind for their drinking water outside but was thinking they would need a water drinker they could not knock over inside their shed as they are in there so long without water. Thanks you again
Steve valentine
Legendary Laner

Post by Steve valentine »

Washing up bowl, anything like that. They need to dunk their heads.

I initially had a chooks drinker for mine but they empty it so fast it's unreal. It ends up everywhere :-D
Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Steve is quite right, forgot to mention about drinkers, I stuck in washing up bowls too. Good luck they are so lucky to have someone who actually cares to help them out. Don;t know about Steve but I found looking after hens a breeze upto duck sitting
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce

junemackenzie
Lively Laner

Post by junemackenzie »

Thank you Sandy and Steve. I will let you know how I get on. I am quite nervous about it. They are about 1 yr old and have never laid eggs. I will make sure they have clean drinking water and water deep enough to "dunk their heads". I just hope none of them die on my watch! Thanks again, I really appreciate the support {hug}
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

How you getting on June?

aceface
Legendary Laner

Post by aceface »

hopefully june is ok and i bet the ducks have never had such a lovely few days bless them {hug}
[center]HELPING THE LITTLE BROWN GIRLS OF THIS WORLD FIND FOREVER HOMES
Humble chicken maid to a happy little flock
Frankii Whippers leading the way with Dorey,Prila(aka Mrs Brown),Ann-a-Lou Greta, Delphine my adorable silkie,my twin girls Lana and Boudica (aka The Jedward Twins ) ,Augustine Eizabeth(aka Pippy), Rheima, Marnie and Fleur aka little miss chatterbox[/center]

Still loving and missing Skinnie Minnie and Queenie xx

Marlene you taught me how to live and laugh again xx

Isabella my darling top hen ,you stole my heart xx

Porscha my sweet little girl ,you left so suddenly xx