The girls big day out

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
grandmaeileen
Longlasting Laner

The girls big day out

Post by grandmaeileen »

Our 4 girls are on our allotment and have quite a large, secure walk in run, we have a fruit cage that is adjacent to the run, and yesterday I opened the door of the run and the fruit cage and 3 of the girls hopped out and into the cage.

One was a little reluctant, but I left her for a few minutes, she was cooing and chuntering to her sisters and eventually, she braved the big world and went to join them.

They had a ball, new ground to scratch, new bugs to eat, it was lovely watching them.

When it was time for us to pack up and go, OH gently ushered them back into their run, but I've got a feeling we've started something now and have visions of them tunneling out of their bit and into the fruit cage!
Mother of two, stepmum to two, all grown up and flown the nest. Grandma to Lucy, who's 12 and is my best friend. Two dogs, 6 Gingernut Rangers, and one lovely hubby!

R.I.P. Queenie, Missy,little hen and Edna

Linda S
Legendary Laner

Re: The girls big day out

Post by Linda S »

Sounds like they had a smashing time, you will have to be on your toes now to scupper their version of the great escape {rofwl} Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
pepi
Longlasting Laner

Post by pepi »

the trouble with letting them out to new places is that they will get used to it very quickly and demand to go there every time you come near (that stomping up and down at the gate to the Walk-in-Run) - and if that doesnt work, they will quickly perfect the 'poor us, locked into this miserable hell-hole' look that will have you feeling twice as guilty!! )j;
grandmaeileen
Longlasting Laner

Post by grandmaeileen »

Oh they're very good at making me feel guilty! OH has put his foot down on the fruit cage party as they decided to peck off the new shoots on his gooseberry plant. {warn} So it's time for plan B and give them a bit more ground at the back of their run where they can do no harm (we hope).

At this rate, there will less room for veg and more room for 4 cheeky hens! {rofwl}
Mother of two, stepmum to two, all grown up and flown the nest. Grandma to Lucy, who's 12 and is my best friend. Two dogs, 6 Gingernut Rangers, and one lovely hubby!

Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

{rofwl} they are funny aren't they {rofwl}

Here's our little ladies with the option of going out, but preferring to stay in the run having a gossip {rofwl}
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

I know what you mean about the veggie patch grandmaeileen, ours was shortned so the girls could take up residence and now I've trying to persuade hubby to extend the run which will take off a bit more {rofwl} They're worth the sacrifice though {hug}
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx
grandmaeileen
Longlasting Laner

Post by grandmaeileen »

Well yesterday, they were waiting impatiently for us so out came spare chicken wire and canes and a temp "run" was fashioned. As soon as their door was opened out they ran! They had a good few hours scratching around and never once tried to pop over the fence, TBH, OH is worse than me for letting them out and loves to see them pottering around. It was lovely watching them explore, but I'm like a mother hen constantly checking and making sure I can see them so the digging tends to be start stop!