What do you do with your chickens that have died?

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
RuthieG
Lively Laner

What do you do with your chickens that have died?

Post by RuthieG »

I think I may lose Vera in the next 48 hours, I'm certainly not planning for her to die, but I need to know what I should do, as I believe that you can't bury chickens in the garden, is that right?
https://www.facebook.com/1500Kilometers my 1500 km journey to a more healthy me!

tamk23
Legendary Laner

Re: What do you do with your chickens that have died?

Post by tamk23 »

I hope Vera is ok and you don't loose her {hug}

I lost one last year and she is in the garden, who will know - well apart from all of DTL now I've put it on here >dum< but I don't think you are meant to.
Tammy xxx

Mum to two girls Violet and Iris and Hubby! 7 chickens, Easter, Bunny, Daisy, Tulip, Primrose, Buttercup, Snowdrop, 2 silkie chicks Teddy & Rainbow. 1 cat, Gromit. 2 gerbils cheese and onion, 2 guinea pigs Bangers & Mash and my Min Pin puppy Betty. RIP my little Casserole, Hotpot & Stew x Goodnight to my wonderful cat Chance and my wonderful dog Hamish xx
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

Yes, you're not supposed to bury chooks in the garden as they are classed as livestock - although I have no idea who is going to come along checking for chicken burial sites in gardens :?

They can be taken to the vets who will dispose of them for a charge although I'm not sure how much, I think it's fairly costly.

If you have a bonfire, they can go on there... I have a friend who takes them over the fields for the foxes (but I would be too worried a young dog walking family would come across them and get upset).

Sad to say, mine get double bagged and put in the bin - although someone told me we're not supposed to do that either...
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

I have fortunately only lost one so far and she was put under a hedge in a field near my parents' house... back to nature which I liked the idea of.
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

I am heartless and put mine in the brown bin (composting), we can put meat in ours so it is fine. A few other people I know in the area also do this.
Luna
Longlasting Laner

Post by Luna »

Jemberelli wrote:I have fortunately only lost one so far and she was put under a hedge in a field near my parents' house... back to nature which I liked the idea of.

I'm sorry your Vera is so poorly and hope she does improve, but in answer to your question, I did the same as Jemberreli. Our Eddie died of natural causes and we waited til about midnight before putting her in the woods to hopefully avoid dogs. The other hen we've had who died was pts and as I didn't know if that would cause wildlife problems, so I asked the vet to cremate her.
Jo x
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."
Atticus Finch in 'To Kill a Mockingbird' by Harper Lee
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Mine moved into my heart and my garden and have never left )t'
Love and Healing for Vera and you {hug} {hug} {hug} Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
wendy

Post by wendy »

Aww sad post.
I have a friend who is a vet. So he takes them for me and puts them in the freezer, to be cremated with the other poor pets.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
ChickenCarol
Longlasting Laner

Post by ChickenCarol »

Sorry to hear about your girl. When Treacle was put to sleep the vet asked me if I wanted to take her home which surprised me as I had also read that you are not supposed to bury them in the garden. I opted for her to be cremated at the vets. Perhaps the vet was just trying to be kind. The vet said there was no additional cost to this although it did cost £60.00 to have her put to sleep so perhaps the cost is already built in.
sarabee
Legendary Laner

Post by sarabee »

£60 Carol?

Rhoda was seen and PTS and her little body disposed of for £28. Out of curiousity the vet asked if she could examine her crop after she was PTS and found a tumour.

I think Linda is right, they move into our heart and memories. It's a lovely way to think of it Linda, thank you.
Sara

"Harm no living thing"

Brilliant hubbie, 2 great teenagers, Sasha the elderly dog and Fin, the evil but loveable cat! 3 chickens; Dottie, Gaia, and Buttercup
Night night Rhoda xx
grandmaeileen
Longlasting Laner

Post by grandmaeileen »

Hope Vera is going to stay with you, we haven't lost any of our girls, but I think I will bury them in a quiet corner (and keep schtum)!
Mother of two, stepmum to two, all grown up and flown the nest. Grandma to Lucy, who's 12 and is my best friend. Two dogs, 6 Gingernut Rangers, and one lovely hubby!

R.I.P. Queenie, Missy,little hen and Edna
little brown hen
Legendary Laner

Post by little brown hen »

I buried the first two who died in the back garden, and one of them was dug up, we found her head by the house yike* (quite revolting), )loo( so now I leave them with the vet.
I hope Vera pulls through and is soon back to normal, my hen Cookie is off colour at the moment, and is having a course of Baytril which does seem to making her feel better.
I don't hold out much hope for her long term health though because this is the second lot of baytril in a month.
Mum to Sox and Boo,and hens, Bramble,
Belle,Bourbon,Holly,Ivy, May and June
RIP Daisy my cat,and Spice, Clara, Alice, Biscuit, Cookie Clarice and Henrietta. Over rainbow bridge, but never forgotten.
tamk23
Legendary Laner

Post by tamk23 »

sarabee wrote:£60 Carol?

Rhoda was seen and PTS and her little body disposed of for £28. Out of curiousity the vet asked if she could examine her crop after she was PTS and found a tumour.

I think Linda is right, they move into our heart and memories. It's a lovely way to think of it Linda, thank you.

Where is the vets that you use? I use a local vet's, however, there is only one vet who is any good with chickens so when he is not there I have to make do. Some of the vets can just about tell what end is what!
Tammy xxx

Mum to two girls Violet and Iris and Hubby! 7 chickens, Easter, Bunny, Daisy, Tulip, Primrose, Buttercup, Snowdrop, 2 silkie chicks Teddy & Rainbow. 1 cat, Gromit. 2 gerbils cheese and onion, 2 guinea pigs Bangers & Mash and my Min Pin puppy Betty. RIP my little Casserole, Hotpot & Stew x Goodnight to my wonderful cat Chance and my wonderful dog Hamish xx
ChickenCarol
Longlasting Laner

Post by ChickenCarol »

I went to the vets in the "pets at home" store. On our first visit, the vet examined Treacle and gave her an injection and gave me some antibiotics for her at a charge of £30.00 which I thought reasonable. On our second visit the vet x-rayed Treacle and gave her another injection and charged £60.00. On our final visit to have her put to sleep the vet again charged £60.00. I did think this was a bit steep but at that stage what can you do. In the end I would have paid what ever to make her better or to ease her suffering. In hind sight it does seem expensive but the vet seemed good with her although he couldn't help her in the end.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Sorry to read about Vera, and hope that she pulls through.

We have buried all three of our girls in the garden, a deep hole, and a paving slab on top until such time as we think a fox will not be interested.

Two of our dogs who have died here are also in the garden. I feel that vets fees are huge. Eight years since, the pet crematorium wanted to charge seventy pounds to dispose of our Rough Collie. In tears, we dug a huge hole, buried him here, and later planted a rose tree over the burial site. Our little Sheltie, Holly is also in the garden, with a rose tree. We also have a budgie buried here.