Wing clipping - What are your views?

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Wellington Boot
Lively Laner

Wing clipping - What are your views?

Post by Wellington Boot »

We've just wing clipped one of our ladies, she was constantly escaping out of her pen (and I mean constantly - she wouldn't stay in there) all the others are fine in there, it's just this one. Also, she's been getting harder and harder to catch, she wont squat down anymore, and always heads to the rose bushes - DH and I are both covered in scratches.

Anyway, it seems to have worked, and she's not escaped again, she's perfectly happy scratching around for corn, but I do feel a bit mean.

So, what's your opinion on wing clipping?
[center]Wellington Boot Garden Farm is now open for business.
Search for us on Facebook, or check out the website at www.wellingtonbootfarm.co.uk
[/center]

LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Re: Wing clipping - What are your views?

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

We've only ever clipped the wing on one hen, and it didn't make a blind bit of difference, so we've never bothered again {rofwl} Miss Houdini Featherflap (yes, I let the children name the pets...) is still the only one who can/will get out of the pen at any opportunity.
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
jackian
Legendary Laner

Post by jackian »

Ouyr first 3 girls had their wings clipped and did not go far.
The next two did not .When we first got them I thought we should have done as little Annie was so flighty but she settled down and we have not had a problem.
I am not sure if it is true or not but I heard that if there was a fox or similar they would have more chance of escaping if they had no clipped wings.
I think you did what was right for you and I would clip again if need be . .
4 lovely girls~~ Clover, the oldie and top chick Bonnie second in command .new girls Bluebell and Blossom.
2 lovely new girls 19-01-2015~~ Chelsea and Ruby.
Eva , Florry , Poppy ,Annie and Rosie R.I.P
The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.” - unknown
wendy

Post by wendy »

Wings...... the very essence of being a bird.
I don't clip and make sure there isn't anything near a fence they can go up and over, make sure the fences aren't too low, or put in a pen with a lid on it.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
HensAloud
Legendary Laner

Post by HensAloud »

I don't like wing clipping, but then I havnt had the problems you've had. I think wing in tact gives them a fighting chance against predators all be it a slim one !
Angela
Usually Barking Up the Wrong Tree
aceface
Legendary Laner

Post by aceface »

I don't clip wings ,I think of the danger element if a bird needs to escape it needs its wings ,
I raise fences and as wendy suggested put a lid on her pen )t'
[center]HELPING THE LITTLE BROWN GIRLS OF THIS WORLD FIND FOREVER HOMES
Humble chicken maid to a happy little flock
Frankii Whippers leading the way with Dorey,Prila(aka Mrs Brown),Ann-a-Lou Greta, Delphine my adorable silkie,my twin girls Lana and Boudica (aka The Jedward Twins ) ,Augustine Eizabeth(aka Pippy), Rheima, Marnie and Fleur aka little miss chatterbox[/center]

Still loving and missing Skinnie Minnie and Queenie xx

Marlene you taught me how to live and laugh again xx

Isabella my darling top hen ,you stole my heart xx

Porscha my sweet little girl ,you left so suddenly xx
Wellington Boot
Lively Laner

Thanks everyone. Putting a lid on their pen is tricky, because the neighbour who we share the fence with is a right pain in the bum, and refuses to let us raise the fence in any way, interfere with the fence, or attach anything to the fence (like trellis, for example). It annoys the heck out of me, because my granddad put that fence up, before her house was even built (I remember when it was a field, and he was asked if it wanted to buy the land - oh if only he'd said yes! We could have pigs now, instead of a whiny neighbour!). I digress.

So far the pen idea has been working well, they have their own space, but can/could easily get out if they need to escape, but lately this one hen has been driving me batty, and if we can't stop her antics, she'll just have to spend more time in lock-down (3 hens, have a secure 2m run - but as it's small, I wouldn't like to make them stay in it very much).
Search for us on Facebook, or check out the website at www.wellingtonbootfarm.co.uk
[/center]
aceface
Legendary Laner

Post by aceface »

find out which side the fence is on if its on your boundary side inside the boundary markers there is nothing they can do about it the fence is legally yours
[center]HELPING THE LITTLE BROWN GIRLS OF THIS WORLD FIND FOREVER HOMES
Humble chicken maid to a happy little flock
Frankii Whippers leading the way with Dorey,Prila(aka Mrs Brown),Ann-a-Lou Greta, Delphine my adorable silkie,my twin girls Lana and Boudica (aka The Jedward Twins ) ,Augustine Eizabeth(aka Pippy), Rheima, Marnie and Fleur aka little miss chatterbox[/center]

Still loving and missing Skinnie Minnie and Queenie xx

Marlene you taught me how to live and laugh again xx

Isabella my darling top hen ,you stole my heart xx

Porscha my sweet little girl ,you left so suddenly xx
wendy

Post by wendy »

I have a neighbour exactly the same about the fence, even complained about the colour I painted our side :?
I just built a four sided pen next to it. I put as best a lid on it as possible, as their run is full of shrubs.

http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
HazellB
Longlasting Laner

Post by HazellB »

As we can't fence higher (open windy land, trees, horses, etc would ruin it in seconds) or roof over (the run's a good quarter acre or so and contains 40ft trees!), we wing clip some birds. They've never minded and can all still get good speed up if startled.

To be honest, I don't think they even notice on the whole.
@Sheldonatsov
My horrible dog's a Twit(ter)
Wellington Boot
Lively Laner

Thanks everyone.

Ace, we're not sure, as it's not obvious on the land registry's plan - in the legal gubbins, it just says that we share ownership/responsibility of the party boundary. Although I am tempted to build another, 8 foot fence just inside the other one, put razor wire all round the top, and paint it vidid pink. Then maybe my little bit of trellis wont seem so bad. )de:

To be honest, I do need to keep her on-side, since I'm now running a business from home, she could make trouble for me if she decided to complain. (Well, she'd cost me £180, which is the cost of applying for a certificate of lawful development).

Wendy - your set up looks fab, I'll have a think and see if I can do something similar.

Thanks HazellB, I'm so jealous, your land sounds fab. I've been out with them all this morning, and she doesn't seem in the least bit bothered. AND she's not escaped yet! >fi<
[/center]
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

We just have a patchwork of chicken wire over the top of ours, similar to Wendy's set up - we have a pear tree in the middle of their run! It doesn't look pretty, but it does the job.
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I'm with you on this one. Wouldn't do it routinely, have done occassionally. (and now have a 6' pen)
With one hen it was enough to deter her and make her forget about it for a while, BUT I've had birds that jump out anyway.
After the moult they will have intact feathers but may not know it.

I'm sure you know that you only do one side, theory is it makes them lopsided. We found that we had to cut more off than the pictures on the Omlet site indicate, or it had no effect. But have read that you mustn't cut too far or they bleed.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Wellington Boot
Lively Laner

Wing Clipping didn't work. Although, when I took her back, I noticed that their water had been kicked over, so I topped that up and she hasn't come out again since, maybe she was just trying to let me know?

It scared the b'jesus out of me though, I just heard someone walking through the house, and knocking things over, (I was at home, alone) bravely came to investigate clutching a pizza cutter (the only weapon that was to hand!) and discovered who the intruder was. >ch<

[/center]
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

If its done correctly wing clipping doesn't hurt the chook - though as has been said, a determined hen will escape somehow..
Personally I wouldn't clip wings. I clipped our ducks wings one year and the next day a fox got two of them.. They would have been able to escape had they been able to fly.
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein