to hot to push?

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

to hot to push?

Post by bmpsands »

My 4 second hand, elderly hybrids and 2 young posh girls have been laying really well. 5 eggs most days, 4 some - 6 others. We're in our 3rd consecutive hot day and yesterday only 2 eggs. One of the eggs was laid between 6.30pm and 9.15pm which is late even by their standards.

It could just be one of those things, but we haven't had chooks through a hot spell before and I'm wondering if this makes them less inclined to lay.

Knowing how concerned Laners are, can I just say that I've provided loads of water and plenty of shade opportunities (not that they seem bothered). They are all eating and drinking well and seem very happy. As I write this, they are all in dugouts with the exception of one of the posh birds who appears to be on sentry duty.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.

Wellington Boot
Lively Laner

Re: to hot to push?

Post by Wellington Boot »

I think elderly hens lay when they want to, and it's not unusual for them to miss a day or two. I only got 2 eggs today, rather then 3 (and we are also on our 3rd hot day) so maybe it is down to the weather, but as long as they don't seem upset, or poorly, they are probably just enjoying the sunshine. Maybe see what tomorrow brings, and try not to worry?
[center]Wellington Boot Garden Farm is now open for business.
Search for us on Facebook, or check out the website at www.wellingtonbootfarm.co.uk
[/center]
chookmike
Longlasting Laner

Post by chookmike »

Yes, we had a 7pm egg last night, which I think I am correct in saying is the first pm egg ever. I had a word with the hen and she said it was a bank holiday so if I wasn't doing much in the morning then she wouldn't either.

Cheers
Wellington Boot
Lively Laner

chookmike wrote:Yes, we had a 7pm egg last night, which I think I am correct in saying is the first pm egg ever. I had a word with the hen and she said it was a bank holiday so if I wasn't doing much in the morning then she wouldn't either.

Cheers

I think I've had late at night eggs too. I've had 2 eggs (from my 3 hens) one day, and then the following day, found 3 warm eggs and one cold one - despite checking throughout the day! Lazy girls! {rofwl}
Search for us on Facebook, or check out the website at www.wellingtonbootfarm.co.uk
[/center]
chookmike
Longlasting Laner

Post by chookmike »

Yes BTB,

Assuming you hadn't missed the cold one from earlier, this means she laid two in, perhaps, 8 hours or so, which my books tell me is too short a time.

I would still love to know exactly how the shell is formed - they are so perfect 99/100

A Laner attached an interesting article a couple of weeks ago but it simply stated that the yolk and albumen enter the egg gland where the shell is added in two layers.

But how? What delivers the calcium but then says 'this one is finished' and allows the egg to move down to the outside.

Then there are lizards, crocs and alligators, turtles, duck-billed platypuss, all of whom, I think, lay soft eggs

I'm rambling again

Night night
Wellington Boot
Lively Laner

chookmike wrote:Yes BTB,

Assuming you hadn't missed the cold one from earlier, this means she laid two in, perhaps, 8 hours or so, which my books tell me is too short a time.

I would still love to know exactly how the shell is formed - they are so perfect 99/100

A Laner attached an interesting article a couple of weeks ago but it simply stated that the yolk and albumen enter the egg gland where the shell is added in two layers.

But how? What delivers the calcium but then says 'this one is finished' and allows the egg to move down to the outside.

Then there are lizards, crocs and alligators, turtles, duck-billed platypuss, all of whom, I think, lay soft eggs

I'm rambling again

Night night

You've spent a lot of time thinking about chickens bums haven't you Mike? {rofwl}
[/center]
chookmike
Longlasting Laner

Post by chookmike »

Not sure what to say to that one :oops:

I know you mean well, BTB:)

Just cursed with an enquiring mind

You'll all be pleased to hear I'm off on hols so you won't have to deal with my drivel for a while.

Cheers!
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

Have a great holiday mike, looking forward to your posts when you get back )t'

My girls seem to have gone off laying in the last week too. :? We were getting 3 eggs from 4 girls most days but now we're down to 1 or occasionally 2. Ah well, just means I don't give any eggs away - they're mine, all mine!!
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen