How many?

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
fletch
Learner Laner

How many?

Post by fletch »

Hello, after having had the 3 hens for a couple of months, one was unfortunately taken by a fox from the garden in broad daylight.... I was only 20 ft away but not near enough. Ive stepped up security in the garden and the other two hens are thankfully fine.
I'd like to ask, is 2 hens ok or should i add another 2? Ive read that due to being flock creatures that they prefer to be in groups of 3 of more? Any advice welcome,
Regards
Dave

redd_angel55
Legendary Laner

Re: How many?

Post by redd_angel55 »

Sorry to hear you lost one of your hens. Foxes are bold at this time of year, when they have cubs to feed.
Personally, I would add another 2. Like you said, they are happier in 3+flocks. If you were to loose another, either by a fox or illness, you'll end up with a lonely hen.
Slave to 3 children, 1 Greyhound, 1 Cat, 4 rescued hens and a very patient hubby x
R.I.P: Ellie, Phoebe, Tikka

Freshstart for hens collection point Aylesbury, Bucks
pepi
Longlasting Laner

Post by pepi »

Fletch, now that that fox knows that your hens are there, and was bold enough to take her while you were in the garden, it WILL be back! You need to seriously consider making sure your girls are safe. )de:

"Traditionally" three hens were the minimum for the reason that if one dies, there wont be one lonely hen - they are flock birds, so need to have company - guess how many you get depends on your coop and run sizes.
fletch
Learner Laner

Post by fletch »

99% of the time the hens are in a fox proof run.... its just if i am at home i like to let them have the run of the garden for a few hours, and this is when the fox struck. Its my fault as I really didnt think one would attack in daylight whilst I was around... However Im now sorting out the fencing where he came into the garden and I'll be more vigilant in the future.
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

You aren't the 1st person to have a fox brazenly take a hen right from under the nose, it must be horrible to witness that and not be able to do anything. I imagine you have stepped up security now to try to prevent a repeat.
I would get company for the remaining 2 hens, another couple would be great, shouldn't think intros would be too hard as the 1st two have only been with you a relatively short time and the 2 v 2 situation is pretty evenly stacked.
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

Sorry to hear about your hen. I do agree with everyone else that this fox will return and honestly it's amazing how high a fence they can scale. We do let our hens FR for a little bit but only while we are in the garden with them. I'd get another 2 girls too as to have 4 is a nice number.
Lyn

Post by pepi »

fletch wrote:99% of the time the hens are in a fox proof run.... its just if i am at home i like to let them have the run of the garden for a few hours, and this is when the fox struck. Its my fault as I really didnt think one would attack in daylight whilst I was around... However Im now sorting out the fencing where he came into the garden and I'll be more vigilant in the future.

its just sickening isnt it - 99% time they're in the run, then when you let them out for a lovely free range, the fox gets one - even though as you say, you were there - they are just so bold its unbelievable. They have cubs at the moment, so they're desperate for food }hairout{
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Sorry Dave it must have been awful for all of you there. The same thing has happened to a member last year {hug} {hug} Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
smiler48
Lively Laner

Post by smiler48 »

So sorry to hear that. I agree with the others, you should get another 2, nice number.
Hintza
Lively Laner

Post by Hintza »

Two are fine, in my view. The only problem is when one dies so I would get 1 or 2 more.
3 Speckeldy, 2 Speckeldy boys, 2 Speckeldy Offspring girls, 6 White Stars, 1 Cream Legbar. 2 Cuckoo Marans, 1 Black Copper Marans (The Delinquent:- BOY!!), 1 Barnevelder, 6 Hyline, 2 Minorca.
fishpond
Legendary Laner

Post by fishpond »

22 is a nice round number. )t'
No problem can withstand the power of continuous thought.
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

fishpond wrote:22 is a nice round number. )t'

88 is even rounder )run(
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
fishpond
Legendary Laner

Post by fishpond »

Annie wrote:

88 is even rounder )run(

Better get some more then. {rofwl} {rofwl}
No problem can withstand the power of continuous thought.
chicks&cats
Legendary Laner

Post by chicks&cats »

fishpond wrote:
Annie wrote:

88 is even rounder )run(

Better get some more then. {rofwl} {rofwl}

{rofwl}
fletch
Learner Laner

Post by fletch »

Many thanks, we got another 2 hens, a pair of Speckledys... They are settling in now, I expected them to get bullied a bit by the current inhabitants, but it was the other way round, the 2 new ones have come in and taken over! If they were male Id have called them Ronnie and Reggie!!