Good to be back!

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
ChookieBirdie
Lively Laner

Good to be back!

Post by ChookieBirdie »

)t' Hi all I can get online again. Woopee..

Still got my 3 feathered friends and adding another 2 ex batts on 1st of June. >fi< Bit nervous but sure it'll be fine! With all the great help from others on here. Making plans on housing etc. The best laid plans, eh!

Only cloud on the horizon is my lovely (Pecky) Becky. I caught her eating a mouse about a week to 10 days ago. Off and on since then her poops have been odd. Yesterday it was watery and today I noticed she has small amounts of undigested grass and small seeds in it. I'm going to vets this afternoon with her. I've convinced myself she has a bacterial infection due to eating the little critter. Anyway, apart from that, she's drinking a lot due to the watery poops and eating and scratching around. Still bright and her tails up but the amount of fluid she's losing needs attention. (Started wormer yesterday, just in case)

So fingers crossed whatevers wrong with her can be treated.

Can't believe how these charming little birds >ch< have taken over our lives. I love everything about them. Well, maybe not the poo cleaning... +pinn+

LisaB

Re: Good to be back!

Post by LisaB »

Hi there )wav(

Really hope everything goes well at the vets :) I would be mortified to see one eat a mouse yike*

And fantastic news about the ex-batts! Keep us updated :-D
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Wellcome back CB and I hope Pecky Becky recovers quick :-D Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Hello again, glad your hen keeping hobby has turned into really happy pastime, they do have a way of growing on you very quickly.
Good luck with the new ones , are they coming from Homes4hens by any chance as I know they have place up here now ?
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
pepi
Longlasting Laner

Post by pepi »

my lot have killed/eaten mice, but in the summertime whats more revolting is the tug of war with a poor frog +pinn+
chicks&cats
Legendary Laner

Post by chicks&cats »

Good luck at the vets, hopefully she was just drinking lots to wash it down? It is always better to know then you know what you are dealing with... Luckily my girls have got to nothing more interesting than a slug, and I don't seem to mind them playing tug of war with slugs :oops:
ChookieBirdie
Lively Laner

Post by ChookieBirdie »

Thanks folks.

Hi again Annie, no it's the BHWT this time. They've got a Freedom Day in St Andrews on 1st of June. It was Ex Batts I was going to home then the cage laws changed. I ended up getting my girls from Stef on here, they are ex commercial free range. Name was still on BHWT list so I have room for 2 more and who could resist!

Anyway, update on Becky. She probably has an infection from the mouse. Antibiotic and vitamin B injection to perk her up. She objected very much to her injection the wee love. Today she's fine as can be, poops are starting to solidify again, so fingers crossed.

When we came home from the vets, I had locked the other 2 in the run whilst I was away. Suzie was making a lot of noise and agitating round the dust bath. I didn't really pay much attention. Later, I noticed they all were a bit upset around the dust bath. I began watching in case the dreaded rats had moved in. >dowhat< Imagine my surprise when I found a baby rabbit! :bun:

I have no idea how it got there. But the chickens stopped my cats getting in to it. Managed to catch it and free it. Both cats under lock and key till it got away!
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Life is never dull with a pet or two around is it ? {rofwl}
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful