How Long Will Chicks Stay with Mum?

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Alaine1304
Learner Laner

How Long Will Chicks Stay with Mum?

Post by Alaine1304 »

Hi
I've had three broody bantums who have just successfully hatched 11 chicks over the past couple of days. All are in together and have been right from the start.

My question really, is how long will the chicks need to stay with the hens? Also any additional advice on rearing the chicks would be gratefully received. :-D

tamk23
Legendary Laner

Re: How Long Will Chicks Stay with Mum?

Post by tamk23 »

I've got chicks but under a heat lamp so no help to you what so ever!!

Hope they are all doing well {hug}
Tammy xxx

Mum to two girls Violet and Iris and Hubby! 7 chickens, Easter, Bunny, Daisy, Tulip, Primrose, Buttercup, Snowdrop, 2 silkie chicks Teddy & Rainbow. 1 cat, Gromit. 2 gerbils cheese and onion, 2 guinea pigs Bangers & Mash and my Min Pin puppy Betty. RIP my little Casserole, Hotpot & Stew x Goodnight to my wonderful cat Chance and my wonderful dog Hamish xx
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

I raised chicks under 2 silkie mums last year. To begin with they were all in a small run together then as the chicks grew, mums and chicks were put alongside the main flock in the newbie/hospital run so all could see but not mix. At about 6 weeks I integrated the silkie mums back into the main flock, they were a bit unhappy for the first few days but could see their chicks and soon settled. The chicks didn't get out with the main flock until they were starting to be fed layers pellets but as they had been in sight of the main flock for most of their lives I didn't have any problems with mixing.
Good luck and enjoy the experience.
Remember chicks are quick if they get out of the enclosure you will have fun and games.
Dont stress their legs with obstacles at the start as they are very delicate. You will find the mums know what best to do. Just remember too that drinkers mustn't be too deep either.
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
manda

Post by manda »

What set up have you got?...what other hens do you have?

As Annie says hens usually keep a close on chicks until they are 6 weeks old or there about to until they are fully fledged and maintain their own body temp but it largely depends on the hen and the chicks...I've got some that are still with their mum ...they are the ones who were hatched behind the freezer in the barn....I went out there the other night and they were all chirping away quietly as they settle all piled in there together with mum and they are 12 weeks old..

So the first thing to know is what set up you have and thinking how it is going to work with your mums and chicks...and any other hens you have if any.

As for caring for the chicks...well as Annie has already said if they are with their mums then a hands off approach is better...their mums know best...you just provide water and feed (chicks crumb till they are about 6/7 weeks and then growers from then as their protein needs change at around this time). If you have medicated chick crumb all the better to avoid things like Coccidiosis which is common in chicks. Watch for any chicks with dirty bottoms as they can get "pasted up" (the poo builds up around the bottom and stops them from pooing ...it is a serious hazard and can kill them)...other than that just enjoy watching them poddle about with mum and learning from her.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny