Wet

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Bren200
Lively Laner

Wet

Post by Bren200 »

Hi everyone, yesterday we got our new hybrid hens 7 of them. Just one thing I am worried about is it ok if the hens are wet from the rain. They don't seem to be worried about it as they are enjoying them self getting all the slugs & snails.

Linda S
Legendary Laner

Re: Wet

Post by Linda S »

Hi Bren and wellcome if i havnt said it already :-D
Just below us Lizzy has put a thread on about her ex-batts and rain and there are some good tips on there )t'

You will soon get to know your girls and of course they will very quickly learn to wrap you round thier little beaks and have you at thier beck and call, so wellcome to the wonderful world of chook slavery {rofwl} Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

Welcome to't lane Bren!

They are absolutely fine doing what they want to do, and are able to keep the water mostly on the surface of their feathers by preening - you'll see them stimulate an oil gland with their beaks and then spread it over themselves. Best to give them some shelter as well, especially in the winter, but they'll let you know when they're miserable. The shade can stop them overheating in full sun as well. If you handle the chooks you'll notice how warm they feel - they're good at keeping warm.
Bren200
Lively Laner

Post by Bren200 »

Freeranger wrote:Welcome to't lane Bren!

They are absolutely fine doing what they want to do, and are able to keep the water mostly on the surface of their feathers by preening - you'll see them stimulate an oil gland with their beaks and then spread it over themselves. Best to give them some shelter as well, especially in the winter, but they'll let you know when they're miserable. The shade can stop them overheating in full sun as well. If you handle the chooks you'll notice how warm they feel - they're good at keeping warm.

Well the hens are happy, had fun trying to put them to bed. Any tips on getting them to bed. As for shade their run is in the shade most of the time. My husband is going to put a cover over the roof of the run tomorrow. The hens are warm & very happy doing what hens do best.
silverback
Legendary Laner

Post by silverback »

Hi Bren, your girls will be fine, sounds as though you have it all sussed )t' , my girls usually put themselves to bed, all I do is lock up, I'm just their caretaker!! >shrug<
I am old and wise, because I was young and stupid!.
Bren200
Lively Laner

Post by Bren200 »

silverback wrote:Hi Bren, your girls will be fine, sounds as though you have it all sussed )t' , my girls usually put themselves to bed, all I do is lock up, I'm just their caretaker!! >shrug<

Hi, how did you get them to go to bed by themselfs ?
silverback
Legendary Laner

Post by silverback »

Bren wrote:
Hi, how did you get them to go to bed by themselfs ?

They did it when I first got them! >shrug<

If yours are roosting outside after dark, try putting them in the coop, they will catch on eventually >gl<
I am old and wise, because I was young and stupid!.
Wellington Boot
Lively Laner

Post by Wellington Boot »

Bren200 wrote:Hi, how did you get them to go to bed by themselfs ?

Hi Bren, )wav(

Welcome to the Lane, if you only bought your girls home yesterday, I would keep them confined to a run (attached to the coop) for at least a week, that will stop them from straying too far, they should go into the coop themselves when it goes dark, but sometimes hybrids can get a bit confused (my newbies have only just got the hang of it, they spent ages roosting in a rose bush!) at least if they are in a run, they will be safe, and eventually they should get the hang of roosting in the right place. (you can always speed this up by placing them into the coop at night, or tempting them in with some corn, just before dusk, and then shutting the door).

Good luck with it all.
Nikki
[center]Wellington Boot Garden Farm is now open for business.
Search for us on Facebook, or check out the website at www.wellingtonbootfarm.co.uk
[/center]
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Ditto.
I start mine in the house - if they find their way out they will know their way back. And stay in a small run for a week (or at least few days), then let out into a larger run (or free range if you want) just before bedtime. They won't go so far if they are already thinking about bed, so they'll get used to going in. Give them longer the next day, till you are sure they know.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Bren200
Lively Laner

Post by Bren200 »

bettythebass wrote:
Bren200 wrote:Hi, how did you get them to go to bed by themselfs ?

Hi Bren, )wav(

Welcome to the Lane, if you only bought your girls home yesterday, I would keep them confined to a run (attached to the coop) for at least a week, that will stop them from straying too far, they should go into the coop themselves when it goes dark, but sometimes hybrids can get a bit confused (my newbies have only just got the hang of it, they spent ages roosting in a rose bush!) at least if they are in a run, they will be safe, and eventually they should get the hang of roosting in the right place. (you can always speed this up by placing them into the coop at night, or tempting them in with some corn, just before dusk, and then shutting the door).

Good luck with it all. Hi, our hens are in a run with the coop in it. I will try with corn at the weekend.
Nikki
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

Mine seem to know about going to the coop without any training. The original 4 had never been locked up at night, just left in the run. We felt safer with them in the coop with the little door bolted shut.

My problem now, with the light nights, is that I'm waiting for them to go to bed. Last night wasn't so bad as they went in by about 9.45pm. At the weekend, with the lovely weather, I was sitting in the garden room until well past 10pm.

Welcome, by the way. I've had hens for a year now and am totally besotted.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.