thinking of hatch eggs ? help

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
anne1234
Lively Laner

thinking of hatch eggs ? help

Post by anne1234 »

hi all thinking of gettin some eggs to give my sillkie to hatch were to get them? how to do it ? wat and how to feed them ? and do i need to have a diffrent pen for them or can they stay with there mums ? and wat tipe of eggs to get and how oftened do they dye on u as i dont do pets dyeing on me very well help

wendy

Re: thinking of hatch eggs ? help

Post by wendy »

Can you keep the boys ? 60% of all hatches are males. They are very difficult to rehome
Sadly I am not allowed them by the council, so I can't hatch chicks.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
tamk23
Legendary Laner

Post by tamk23 »

I would like to hatch my own but wouldn't want to end up with boys so for the last couple of years I have got s.exed day old chicks.

I know it's not quite the same as seeing mum and babies together but it works for me x
Tammy xxx

Mum to two girls Violet and Iris and Hubby! 7 chickens, Easter, Bunny, Daisy, Tulip, Primrose, Buttercup, Snowdrop, 2 silkie chicks Teddy & Rainbow. 1 cat, Gromit. 2 gerbils cheese and onion, 2 guinea pigs Bangers & Mash and my Min Pin puppy Betty. RIP my little Casserole, Hotpot & Stew x Goodnight to my wonderful cat Chance and my wonderful dog Hamish xx
Wellington Boot
Lively Laner

Post by Wellington Boot »

Is your silkie broody? Personally, I would give her some china eggs to sit on, and then slip some day old (sexed chicks) under her after 21 days if she's still showing the motherly signs.

As others have said, it would save you the problem of what to do with the boys, and would probably be a lot more successful than hatching, as you would only get healthy (and vaccinated?) chicks - depending on how good your local breeder is.

Just a thought.
Nikki
x
[center]Wellington Boot Garden Farm is now open for business.
Search for us on Facebook, or check out the website at www.wellingtonbootfarm.co.uk
[/center]
Skeksis
Longlasting Laner

Post by Skeksis »

I would suggest you read up and get much, much more information before even thinking of getting chicks. Chicks are hard work and require a lot of thought before taking them on. Find out exactly what's involved before even thinking about it x
serama1
Lively Laner

Post by serama1 »

bettythebass wrote:Is your silkie broody? Personally, I would give her some china eggs to sit on, and then slip some day old (sexed chicks) under her after 21 days if she's still showing the motherly signs. x

I agree with this but you need to be careful in how/when you slip the day old chicks under the hen ... she needs to think that these are her chicks otherwise she will reject them, in which case, you'll need to hand rear them under heat lamp etc. Normally I would slip the chicks at night and remove the china eggs from under her. You will need to provide chick crumb for the chicks. if the hen accepts the chicks then she will look after them and you can enjoy watching them. Nothing like it - it is beautiful to see. Also ensure that the place you buy the day olds is prepared to take any cockerels back in case any turn out to be cockerels.
redd_angel55
Legendary Laner

Post by redd_angel55 »

I've got absolutely no idea about hatching/rearing chicks ect, but wouldn't you have to keep the hen and babies separate from the others?
Slave to 3 children, 1 Greyhound, 1 Cat, 4 rescued hens and a very patient hubby x
R.I.P: Ellie, Phoebe, Tikka

Freshstart for hens collection point Aylesbury, Bucks