Lord (or Lady?) Wellington

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Wellington Boot
Lively Laner

Lord (or Lady?) Wellington

Post by Wellington Boot »

Appologies to anyone who has seen this on Facebook (I have been having problems with photobucket so couldn't post on here sooner!) and please excuse the messy picture (their run is not actually that dirty, just wet and muddy) but do you agree that this 7 week old Wellsummer is a roo? I've named him Lord Wellington (but I can easily change it to Lady Wellington, if need be).

He is in with 2 female CLBs that are the same age, and they look a lot more "girly" (smaller tail feathers, smaller/yellow-er combs, thinner legs, etc) but I don't know how much is down to breed, and how much is down to gender. It's all very confusing.

Thanks in advance.
Nikki
[center]Wellington Boot Garden Farm is now open for business.
Search for us on Facebook, or check out the website at www.wellingtonbootfarm.co.uk
[/center]

chicks&cats
Legendary Laner

Re: Lord (or Lady?) Wellington

Post by chicks&cats »

Sorry Nikki but I have no idea, but hopefully someone else will be along soon and a lot more helpful....
Looks a beautiful chicken though whether Lord or Lady :-D
pepi
Longlasting Laner

Post by pepi »

Look at the shoulder feathers - rounded will indicate a hen, pointed feathers a cockerel. Any signs of spurs yet? Its tail is a bit 'wild' :-D is it wet? The feathers curling would be a sign of a cockerel too - hard to tell with the photo. Id compare its neck/shoulder feathers with one of your definite hens. Hmnnn at 7 weeks it might be hard to tell yet...
tamk23
Legendary Laner

Post by tamk23 »

I have 5 cream legbar female chicks that are 7 weeks old, one of them has a massive red comb but the rest of them have combs that are hardly noticeable. They all had markings of girls when I bought them so think it's a girl >shrug<
Tammy xxx

Mum to two girls Violet and Iris and Hubby! 7 chickens, Easter, Bunny, Daisy, Tulip, Primrose, Buttercup, Snowdrop, 2 silkie chicks Teddy & Rainbow. 1 cat, Gromit. 2 gerbils cheese and onion, 2 guinea pigs Bangers & Mash and my Min Pin puppy Betty. RIP my little Casserole, Hotpot & Stew x Goodnight to my wonderful cat Chance and my wonderful dog Hamish xx
SpeckledEggs
Learner Laner

Post by SpeckledEggs »

He looks like a boy to me :-D