Broody Bourbon

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
little brown hen
Legendary Laner

Broody Bourbon

Post by little brown hen »

My girl Bourbon has become broody. She's pulled out almost all her chest feathers and she's ensconced in the nest box and she bit my husband when he went to collect the eggs. I took the eggs out from under her and she's still in there. Should I turn her out and close the pop hole? I know from other posts the chicken keeps wanting to return to the nest. All suggestions gratefully received. :-D
Bourbon brooding.
Mum to Sox and Boo,and hens, Bramble,
Belle,Bourbon,Holly,Ivy, May and June
RIP Daisy my cat,and Spice, Clara, Alice, Biscuit, Cookie Clarice and Henrietta. Over rainbow bridge, but never forgotten.

4c lady
Legendary Laner

Re: Broody Bourbon

Post by 4c lady »

Ive got a silkie, Little My, who is forever going broody but she is a non aggressive girl and being only small doesnt really clog up the nest box and I just let her get on with it and let nature take its course but I make sure she goes outside every morning for a feed and a drink and at night too. However I have got a big Braham, Pippa, and she is an aggressive broody and will attack the other hens who happen to get in her way. Pippa I usually put in a cat basket and keep her in the house and again let nature take its course. I put her out first thing in the morning before I let the others out so she can have a bit of exercise and have a poop and then she waits by the back door for me to let her in and she trots off to the cat basket again. I put a bowl of food and water in the cat basket with her so she was access to both all the time. This works for me however the first time I let Little My the silkie into the house in a cat basket it was over Christmas and come the end of January my Dad said im pretty sure she should be over it and I turfed her outside and yes she was. I think she got used to being inside with us all over Christmas and did enjoy watching tv so just beware they can twist you round their little claw.
little brown hen
Legendary Laner

Re: Broody Bourbon

Post by little brown hen »

Thanks 4clady. Ive got a dog cage which I think I'll put in the run along the lines of your cat basket, and she can nest in there, but I'll leave the door open so she can come and go if she wants. I think she had laid an egg because I'd removed the ones in there, and she was on another egg when I turfed her out so I could clean the house. When I opened up again she was the first one in, (which upset Ivy who likes to go to bed at 8pm) The only thing that has just occurred to me is, if I put her in the cage, will she sleep in the nest box at night? I suppose I'll find out tomorrow. :-D
Mum to Sox and Boo,and hens, Bramble,
Belle,Bourbon,Holly,Ivy, May and June
RIP Daisy my cat,and Spice, Clara, Alice, Biscuit, Cookie Clarice and Henrietta. Over rainbow bridge, but never forgotten.