Lonely bullied hen.

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Orfy
Legendary Laner

Lonely bullied hen.

Post by Orfy »

I have a little chicken. A one year old(ish) warren. It was being henpecked and recieved a small wound to the comb. I obviously had to seperate it becaus the full flock of 7 other birds targeted it.
Since then it has become withdrawn, it comb has flopped and it sit huddled up most of the time. We make sure it has food and water and some human intervention. It's been about a month now. We put it in the coop at night but the instanc any other chickens see it it gets attacked. So much so the wull flock pin it down.

Any suggestions?

I'm thinking it may have to go to someone who wants a solitry chicken but i'd rather integrate it back to the flock. It seems to be in serious danger of being killed or seriously injured.
Allotment http://taylorsplot.blogspot.com/
Orfy Blog (Food'n'Stuff) http://orfy.blogspot.com/
1xMaran 1xRIR 6xWarrens 2xMuts

Mad Chick

Re: Lonely bullied hen.

Post by Mad Chick »

Hi Orfy

Good to see you back although sorry you're having problems.

My first suggestion would be to try to put her together with just one of your other chooks (the most docile one) and keep them together in a pair for a couple of weeks before putting them both in with the flock. Keep them separate but within sight of the others.

If none of the others are suitable, could you get another hen to keep her company?
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
Skeksis
Longlasting Laner

Post by Skeksis »

I would first wonder if she has some kind of illness or other thing wrong with her to cause the others to bully?

Is she ok eating drinking pooping and not losing weight?
Orfy
Legendary Laner

Post by Orfy »

Thanks for the ideas.

I have been silly busy for a good while (That's why I've not been on the forum) but I need to devote a little time and effort into resolving the problem.

The reason I've not gon for rehoming is because I'd like to get her back in the flock rather than be a solitary bird. Although she is becoming very friendly and follows us round.

She's not loosing weight an in herself seems to spend less time huddled up. She has a dirty bum I noticed her drinking water frequently.
She his eat but seems to prefer what ever is in the dogs bowl. here poo is very liquid and at night I can feel some food in her crop.

I'm letting her free range on her own all day and putting her in the coop just before the othersd or just after.

She sleeps inside and the others sleep outside.

I'm thinking of letting one of the other smaller ones range with her and then maybe add an older one.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Hi Orfy

if she's free ranging or eating the dog's food (?) then that might be causing the dirty bum - does she have access to pellets or mash, and is she eating it? Possibly stress might be causing her problems too, poor little thing.

I would agree with Mad Chick - assuming there are no health problems, as skeksis said, then try to pair her up with a docile/friendly hen so she gets a chance to have a friend. They are flock animals and being solitary for a month could be causing her stress. Keep them both seperate but in view of the others, so they start to become used to seeing them around, and then free range them all together for an hour before dusk. Avoid treats until they're integrating better, I have found this just makes things worse at first.

I introduced 2 new chickens to my existing 2 about 3 weeks ago and it's been very tough for one of my new little girls, but they're starting to get there. They're still horrible around food and treats but they're hanging around together as a little foursome a bit more now - it does take time. definitely find her a little friend, that way the flock dynamics will start to change for her too.
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
bauhirwilles
Learner Laner

Post by bauhirwilles »

Orfy wrote:I have a little chicken. A one year old(ish) warren. It was being henpecked and recieved a small wound to the comb. I obviously had to seperate it becaus the full flock of 7 other birds targeted it.
Since then it has become withdrawn, it comb has flopped and it sit huddled up most of the time. We make sure it has food and water and some human intervention. It's been about a month now. We put it in the coop at night but the instanc any other chickens see it it gets attacked. So much so the wull flock pin it down.

Any suggestions?

I'm thinking it may have to go to someone who wants a solitry chicken but i'd rather integrate it back to the flock. It seems to be in serious danger of being killed or seriously injured.

It really seems a big problem !!
But I would suggest you, try to keep her with only one that is the one who normally used to do any thing for few days and try to keep an eye on them also then once he gets attached with her then try to put them in a flock instead of putting her directly in the flock.
I hope this would definitely help you!!
Orfy
Legendary Laner

Post by Orfy »

Thanks for the suggestions.

It is not getting any better. She really is scared of the others and is not thriving.
I have a friend who has a young seemingly friendlier flock. He also has more time during the day to keep an eye on them and try to resolve any issues

He his going to take it.

The other birds aren't really getting any free range time so I think it's best all round.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Thank goodness you have a good home for her
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
aceface
Legendary Laner

Post by aceface »

you have obviously put this little hens needs first Orfy well done not an easy decision but sometimes we have to follow our heads and not our hearts ,hope she goes on ok nice to see you back by the way )t'
[center]HELPING THE LITTLE BROWN GIRLS OF THIS WORLD FIND FOREVER HOMES
Humble chicken maid to a happy little flock
Frankii Whippers leading the way with Dorey,Prila(aka Mrs Brown),Ann-a-Lou Greta, Delphine my adorable silkie,my twin girls Lana and Boudica (aka The Jedward Twins ) ,Augustine Eizabeth(aka Pippy), Rheima, Marnie and Fleur aka little miss chatterbox[/center]

Still loving and missing Skinnie Minnie and Queenie xx

Marlene you taught me how to live and laugh again xx

Isabella my darling top hen ,you stole my heart xx

Porscha my sweet little girl ,you left so suddenly xx
Orfy
Legendary Laner

Post by Orfy »

Thanks.

It's a pity you can't house train them. She's so friendly.