Hot weather

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
chookmike
Longlasting Laner

Hot weather

Post by chookmike »

Any hints to help the hens try and stay cooler?

Spray the ground with water is my only idea but they are splaying wings and gasping. Run is in full shade and loads of cold water available, dipping for peas in iced water etc

The comic press says this is going to be another 1976...

Cheers

Mike

wendy

Re: Hot weather

Post by wendy »

Very often they splay their wings just to do a bit of sunbathing. If they are gasping. I would suggest bringing them in with a fan on them.
I have a very shaded run and although mine are mostly laying down. They are quite comfortable and not overheated.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
jackian
Legendary Laner

Post by jackian »

My four are certainly protesting more than usual but just have loads of shade ,water and pea and sweet corn bobbing .
They don't seem too bad though and at the moment are under a sun umbrella under the patio.
They also love melon wedges .
4 lovely girls~~ Clover, the oldie and top chick Bonnie second in command .new girls Bluebell and Blossom.
2 lovely new girls 19-01-2015~~ Chelsea and Ruby.
Eva , Florry , Poppy ,Annie and Rosie R.I.P
The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.” - unknown
Skeksis
Longlasting Laner

Post by Skeksis »

I fill my kitchen sink with cool not freezing water and stand my hens in it so all their underside up to their vent gets wet, I also gently wet the whole crop area.

After a few minutes of this I put them out again and they are then as right as rain, preening and much happier. The evaporation of water cools them and they really seem
Much better after no panting etc. this works so well for my hens I always do it in really hot weather now.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I have popped a duvet cover over the top of the run so they have shade - mind you, it keeps blowing into a heap so they are all squashed into the 4 inches of shade {rofwl}
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

Skeksis wrote:I fill my kitchen sink with cool not freezing water and stand my hens in it

I can just picture it - it seems to be quite a funny sight.
Michael
Skeksis
Longlasting Laner

Post by Skeksis »

It does look a bit funny when they are dripping wet underneath and fluffy on top and my hubby doesn't think it's the best use for my kitchen sink but it does work a treat x
chookmike
Longlasting Laner

Post by chookmike »

Not sure about chooks in the sink but good idea about wetting combs - that is their radiator of course.

A strangely quiet evening here tonight - even the motorway has fallen silent as the heavy air lies utterly still. Hens roosted with splayed wings so won't close doors for a while yet. Two cats stretched out on the lawn and the frogs are jumpin'

Better be up early tomorrow

Mike
Kuikentje
Longlasting Laner

Post by Kuikentje »

I have to wash my old dog's sheet (that she uses for sleeping on her sofa) every day as she's a bit incontinent these days. So today I spread it out to dry on the top of the run. Obviously it provided extra shade but I thought maybe the evaporation of the water would help a bit, too.
Life's too short to quarrel
Kuikentje
Longlasting Laner

Post by Kuikentje »

chookmike wrote:Not sure about chooks in the sink but good idea about wetting combs - that is their radiator of course.

Mine haven't got any combs yet!
Life's too short to quarrel
chookmike
Longlasting Laner

Post by chookmike »

Kuikentje wrote:
chookmike wrote:Not sure about chooks in the sink but good idea about wetting combs - that is their radiator of course.

Mine haven't got any combs yet!

:? mmm..Point taken
ChickenCarol
Longlasting Laner

Post by ChickenCarol »

Mine have shade but I also water a portion of the run near their shade to help it stay cool. I give fresh water again at midday and sometimes wet the patio area for them. They prefer to drink from the muddy puddles that collect than the cold , fresh water! I give treats of melon, grapes, cucumber and tomato while hot (alternating not all at once). They roost in the evening on the high perch above their coop while it's hot and whereas I normally lift them down and put them in at 10.00pm I am now delaying until 11.00pm when it's really cool. The automatic coop door opens at 5.00am so it's cool then.

I find the worst thing is when they want to lay their eggs at the hottest part of the day but you can't stop them doing that. They seem okay but you can tell they don't really like the heat though, a bit more moaning form time to time.
JD1970
Lively Laner

Post by JD1970 »

One of mine likes being watered and will purposefully stand under the watering can.
chookmike
Longlasting Laner

Post by chookmike »

Thanks all. I am hosing down the slabbed areas each afternoon and last thing as the evaporation cools the air a bit. A watering can would not work on our lot - as soon as they see the hose they head for the hills......I can picture your hen under the can though JD - does she open all the feathers and do a 'dog' shake?

Just a beautiful evening here, warm and still. 5 hens and 2 cats all sharing the lawn, no bullying tonight and all fine with the world.

First day at Lords tomorrow - is it bmp who is the cricket fan?

Cheers

Mike
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Ive been cutting up water melons and putting them in the fridge and giving them ice cubes in the shady areas
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/