Since Lizzie died ten days since

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Since Lizzie died ten days since

Post by Spreckly »

Since Lizzie died ten days since, Ruby, who is just over two years old, is on her own. We were away for a few days following Lizzie's death, and on our return, Ruby had laid four eggs. Since then, nothing. She is bright in herself, but not eating so well.

When we knew that Lizzie was unlikely to survive, we had three options:

Let Ruby go to a friend with free range hens in a large field.
Get another hen for company.
See how Rubes gets on.

We have gone for the last option, as OH and I are both struggling physically, and with winter approaching, hen keeping becomes harder. We had already decided not to get more girls. I presume that the lack of eggs is because of Ruby's changed circumstances. The eggs she laid during our absence would already be lined up, so to speak.

Has any other Laner ended up with just one hen, and if so, how did the hen seem?

silverback
Legendary Laner

Re: Since Lizzie died ten days since

Post by silverback »

Personally, I would go for the first option!, as hens are flock birds, it just seems right!,
only a personal view though!, as I know it can be a tough decision when your attached!!.
I am old and wise, because I was young and stupid!.
julieann
Legendary Laner

Post by julieann »

Aww Spreckly what a hard decision. I'm sure you will do what's best for Ruby. You're right chicken keeping is harder in the winter, I'm dreading it brrrrrr!
Julie x
wendy

Post by wendy »

A difficult one. Only that only you and the bird can really work out. My friend had an only chicken. But she ended up as part of the family in and out of the house during the day and in of a night time.
I know my egg count is down, as the nights are drawing in . So that may explain the lack of eggs.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Chicken drumstick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Chicken drumstick »

Very New to Chicken keeping so probably not much help....2 friends of mine both have single chickens since the others passed on , one of them there Chicken has been on its own for over 12 months still lays the odd egg and is doing fine , as in just acts like normal but is on her own , there words not mine .
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

If you decide to keep Ruby, I would have thought that looking after one would be
the same work as looking after two. I wonder if another alternative might be finding Ruby a friend - maybe a mature, docile girl from an animal shelter (they often get
hens passed laying age dumped on them) and perhaps making your set up easier
for you to manage - moving it closer or something. Just a thought.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Thank you all for your comments and advice. Ruby is now moulting! We are just giving her time at present.

don't want to part with her Silverback, we are attached, and I would feel that I had failed her in some obscure way.

Kitla, the run can't be moved any nearer to the house, so that isn't an option.

Watch this space....
Tink
Longlasting Laner

Post by Tink »

I wish you well with your situation as I am about to be in a similar one soon.
We are stopping re homeing reluctantly as newly retired and had a new home sorted
for my last two. This fell through last week and now one seems to be on her way to
Rainbow Bridge slowly. I am lucky that I have found a new home for the last one already
and plans made to move her ASAP. I understand this is difficult as I worry I am letting her down a little when in fact as I would say to you we are doing our very best
to do the right thing for these last two girlies.
We had a little Ruby once.
Take care and all will be well.
{hug} >ch< {hug&kiss}