advice on feed for 18 week old chicks

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
georget
Learner Laner

advice on feed for 18 week old chicks

Post by georget »

Advice please from more experienced members.I have 6 Old English Pheasant Fowl that will be 18 weeks old next week.I was going to put them onto layers pellets but then i thought well they wont be laying for a while over the winter so should i keep them on growers.Im told they are slow to mature anyway so will they benefit from the growers for a while longer. What do you all think. Thanks in advance.

Willow
Legendary Laner

Re: advice on feed for 18 week old chicks

Post by Willow »

I've never kept this breed so have just 'googled' them..
Beautiful birds! and you're right they do seem to mature slowly, poss not laying till they're 7 months old!
To be honest I wouldnt have a clue re your quetion, and its a good one.. If no one on here has an answer for you, couldnt you contact breeders to get some definate advice?

Personally I'd keep them on growers until they're mature enough to start laying.. but thats just my opinion..
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
georget
Learner Laner

Post by georget »

Thanks Willow I dont think it can do any harm to keep them on growers a while longer,probably february before they think about proving me with eggs. :-D
manda

Post by manda »

I agree...if they're not laying they won't need the extra calcium.....you could always get some limestone flour in and if they start laying add it to the growers so it just bumps up it's calcium content....then you won't waste any growers.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
georget
Learner Laner

Post by georget »

Thanks Manda I thought they should be OK but they are my first chickens and its always best to seek advice.By the way your post came at 6.30 am what time is it there. )t'
aceface
Legendary Laner

Post by aceface »

I love this breed my friend has these and fed the regime manda suggested with success post a pic envy}}
[center]HELPING THE LITTLE BROWN GIRLS OF THIS WORLD FIND FOREVER HOMES
Humble chicken maid to a happy little flock
Frankii Whippers leading the way with Dorey,Prila(aka Mrs Brown),Ann-a-Lou Greta, Delphine my adorable silkie,my twin girls Lana and Boudica (aka The Jedward Twins ) ,Augustine Eizabeth(aka Pippy), Rheima, Marnie and Fleur aka little miss chatterbox[/center]

Still loving and missing Skinnie Minnie and Queenie xx

Marlene you taught me how to live and laugh again xx

Isabella my darling top hen ,you stole my heart xx

Porscha my sweet little girl ,you left so suddenly xx
manda

Post by manda »

georget wrote:Thanks Manda I thought they should be OK but they are my first chickens and its always best to seek advice.By the way your post came at 6.30 am what time is it there. )t'

No worries....there's 13 hours time difference between NZ and the UK at the mo :-D .
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny