Help! Chilly Girls

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Paula and girls
Learner Laner

Help! Chilly Girls

Post by Paula and girls »

Hi. New to the forum but joined as I really need some advice. I have 4 point of lay girls which I got in June after I lost my old girls to a fox in the middle of the day. All well at first they are in the run and into the coop at night. I have a log pile in the run and perches between the cage (huge 4m x 4m) at various heights. Suddenly about 2 months ago they have taken to sleeping on the highest perch outside and totally disregarding the coop, looked at the book advice and checked for red mite - yes in the dark with my torch! The other thing that was said is that it was jungle instinct and leave them to it! Is that ok with it being so cold now? Have tried to lock them down with treats - 3 were ok but one not having it and slept outside on her own - couldn't get her in for love nor money! Any advice welcome?

MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Re: Help! Chilly Girls

Post by MissEllie »

Welcome to the Lane )wav(
It looks like you've checked for the obvious reasons, my girls always took themselves in at night but I know other members have chooks who stay out quite happily despite the weather. As long as their run is completely fox proof and they have access to the nest box and youre sure its not mite-ridden I wouldn't worry too much.
I'm sure other Laners will be along to offer advice soon )t'
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
Paula and girls
Learner Laner

Thank you so much for replying. My run is made out of Heras fencing, floor, roof and walls! So hopefully fox proof. After loosing my other girls who were totally free range in the middle of the day I was not going to take the chance again! The girls have complete access to the coop and lay 4 eggs each day in the boxes and I really can't see anything in it at night, just don't want frozen girls in the morning!
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Hello Paula )wav( So sorry you lost your girls before, how awlful for you. Can you post some piccies of your set up?
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

may seem a daft question but when you checked for redmite were your chickens
in the coop at the time? Its just that I'd have thought the redmite (if there were any) may not come out if they didn't feel the hen's warmth. May be worth a double check
if the chooks used to sleep in the coop then suddenly stopped. I think if you spray
the nooks & crannies with poultry shield or similar they should come running out if
they are there.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
pepi
Longlasting Laner

Post by pepi »

I wouldnt be happy with my girls sleeping out when they have a perfectly good/safe/warm/sheltered coop that they are ignoring, especially as you say, with winter coming.

If you are 100% sure you dont have redmite (maybe you did, the girls abandoned the coop, the mite are now 'gone'???!) - just check thoroughly once more - rub your finger along nooks/crannies/hard to reach places/end of perches etc - if no 'smooshed' mites on your finger >stir< then hopefully you are mite-free. Then I would just start to collect the dozy girls off their perch when its dark and they are not going to run away, and pop them into their coop, close the door. YOu will prob have to do this for a few nights, to get them into the routine again. Hopefully they will go in of their own accord after a few times. Is your run covered - they arent getting wet if they sleep outside??
Paula and girls
Learner Laner

Hi, thanks for your replies. Once the girls stopped using the coop I took it apart as much as possible, scrubbed it and used poultry shield on it - to no avail. Have checked the perch and the ends of it for anything smooched! Nothing!
The run is covered on the roof in polycarbonate sheets so not getting wet at night, nothing but the best for the girls!
It's strange, 3 will go in if I put them in, one just can't get hold of her - maybe need to do the dozy perch thing on her. But when they are in they will not go on the perch but sleep down on the lounge floor - chicken therapy anyone?
Just don't want them to freeze to death. Still laying full strength though. Good point about mite not appearing when warmth of the girls not in there. >coc<
silverback
Legendary Laner

Post by silverback »

Any signs of vermin?, seems odd they were sleeping in the coop to start with, and now won't go in, could have been spooked by something ! :? . Just a thought! red mite generally come out at night to feed on roosting chooks, although you have checked and cleaned the coop does it have a felt roof?, because that's where the little )de: could be hiding, although now its getting colder red mite should not be an issue!..
I am old and wise, because I was young and stupid!.
Scrambled
Lively Laner

Post by Scrambled »

Hi Paula and girls )wav(

Just had a look round the WWW and saw this - don't know if it helps / reassures but may be worth a read:

http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/fo ... ic=17771.0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jackian
Legendary Laner

Post by jackian »

You say that they sleep on the coup floor ..So do mine ,3 years on and they still do...well 2 on the floor snuggled up squashed in a corner and 2 in the next box one on top of the other...and they have a coup large enough for them to have a party with their mates over .
I just let them sleep where they want as long as they are content and happy.
I have a friend (who will be nameless {rofwl} ) and she picks her 5 up every night and puts them in the coup and always has .
Jackie x
4 lovely girls~~ Clover, the oldie and top chick Bonnie second in command .new girls Bluebell and Blossom.
2 lovely new girls 19-01-2015~~ Chelsea and Ruby.
Eva , Florry , Poppy ,Annie and Rosie R.I.P
The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.” - unknown
Paula and girls
Learner Laner

Thanks for the link, I did go on a chicken keeping course believe it or not before I got the girls at a local chicken farm in Hampshire so that I was at least half informed not allowing for the personalities of them! It was a one to four course so we got really in depth which was great. One of the things she said in the book which came with the course was if no mite then it's jungle instinct - highest place. I'm of the opinion that it's the boss who wants to sleep outside and the others follow her - she's the one I can't get in.
What do you all think?
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

They are total madams when it comes to where they want to sleep! Have you tried to treat bribe as suggested?
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
Paula and girls
Learner Laner

Yep mealy worms, three girls rush into the coop to be closed down. Nope she will not get off the perch.
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

Just another wee thought.. Putting a torch in the nestbox at night sometimes encourages them inside then you can tak the torch away when they're in )t'
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Paula and girls wrote:Yep mealy worms, three girls rush into the coop to be closed down. Nope she will not get off the perch.

wont she let you pick her up when its dark & she's all settled? that's usually the best
time to manhandle the awkward ones!
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant