Lost my little Daisy

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
tomato
Lively Laner

Lost my little Daisy

Post by tomato »

I feel so guilty, i rescued 5 little girls in December and lost 1 after just a week, and today I have lost Daisy, the sweetest little girl and it was all my fault. They have a very large run and large indoor space aswell but because it was sunny i decided to let them free range in the garden, I only went indoors to answer the phone and a pallet that was leaning against the fence blew over in a gust of wind and landed on Daisy, it killed her instantly. I am gutted and feel so bad, i was only trying to be kind to them. {cry}
Jacqui xxx

Always remembering my lost girls, now at Rainbow Bridge. :)

jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Re: Lost my little Daisy

Post by jemberelli »

Aww sorry to hear about little Daisy. Don't beat yourself up, there is no way we can eliminate every single danger - you're only human and she has had a wonderful life with you. It's sad that sometimes we learn from the most awful of events but unfortunately life throws crap at us like this. Take care Tomato, sending big hugs {hug} {hug}
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
perchy

Post by perchy »

Aww so sorry to hear this, sadly a freak gust of wind and a pallet, you didn't do it deliberately and you would never have harmed her, she knew love which is more than alot do, words won't help but please don't be hard on yourself, these things happen.
Fly high and free over Rainbow Bridge little Daisy {hug}
tomato
Lively Laner

Post by tomato »

thank you, its broke my heart, she has., {cry} only had a couple of months of freedom
Jacqui xxx

Always remembering my lost girls, now at Rainbow Bridge. :)
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Oh Tomato I do feel for you, it's always extra sad when a little ex batt goes {hug} Please try not to blame yourself or beat yourself up - it was an accident, and accidents will happen. I'm sure Daisy had a wonderful time with you and as heartbreaking as it is now, she went quickly and without suffering, in the middle of doing what she could never have dreamed of doing a few months ago
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Chookaholic
Longlasting Laner

Post by Chookaholic »

Im so sorry to hear you lost Daisy, but remember even if you was outside the wind would still have caught the pallet it was just a freak accident and not your fault in any way so dont blame yourself {hug}

You might not have had her very long but they were the best days of her life and it was all down to you my friend : love and hugs to you {hug}
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

I can only repeat what has been said before me. I do feel very much for you.
RIP little Daisy {hug} {hug}
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Chicken drumstick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Chicken drumstick »

a sad accident yes ....but not your fault these things happen .

{hug}
MuddyHell
Learner Laner

Post by MuddyHell »

Sad times, tomato. Poor little Daisy. I can understand how you fell. I got home tonight to find one of mine laid out dead on the floor of the Walk-in-Run. :(
We think she misjudged flyin down from the high roost in the run. It looks like she broke her neck and one wing, and hopefully died instantly. Horrid end to the day. Another freak accident, just like with your Daisy. I feel terrible for our girl, but we keep them in the Walk-in-Run after losing two last year to a fox attack.
Scrambled
Lively Laner

Post by Scrambled »

So sorry, Tomato - and MuddyHell, too.

Tomato, your post got me thinking and I did a safety check in the garden yesterday, ended up moving some things which were potentially dangerous but which I'd never really noticed before - I'm sure other people reading your post will do the same.

I'm so sorry for you though - it's a horrible thing to have happened {cry} {hug}
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

There was no way you could have imagined that pallet would have fallen over so don' tbeat yourself up. Fly high little Daisy at least she had her freedom {hug}
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

I know how you feel, Tomato, because when we were complete newbies and lost the first couple of ours, we felt just the same as you do now. Should have.....shouldn't have...maybe if....and just terribly guilty, as if we should have known what to do to be the perfect chicken-owners. But if little Daisy had been a wild chicken, she would just have easily suffered an accident like this and possibly a much slower and more painful death. At least she died quickly and painlessly, and having a lovely time outside. Try not to feel bad but just remember the nice memories that she gave you.

Sorry to MH too.