Milly, Molly and Mandy

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
tosca100
Lively Laner

Milly, Molly and Mandy

Post by tosca100 »

This morning we went to the market and bought three new girls. They are ex-commercials but in not too bad condition. One hen has a touch of frostbite to the tips of her comb which seems quite common here, but apart from that and being very pale they seem OK. They were about £7 for the three.

So please say hello to Milly, Molly and Mandy.

Don't know who is who yet, but Mandy is the one with the big comb and bossy nature.
Because my memory is not brilliant......http://debrazzaman.blogspot.com/

albertajune
Legendary Laner

Re: Milly, Molly and Mandy

Post by albertajune »

Hell girls )wav( )wav( )wav( Be prepared for a good rest of your life.
Their names remind me of a childhood friend who always had the Milly Molly Mandy books bought for her by her dad.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
jackian
Legendary Laner

Post by jackian »

They are lovely girls and I am sure will be even lovelier in a few weeks.

Milly Molly Mandy ..Oh what memories )t'

Jackie x
4 lovely girls~~ Clover, the oldie and top chick Bonnie second in command .new girls Bluebell and Blossom.
2 lovely new girls 19-01-2015~~ Chelsea and Ruby.
Eva , Florry , Poppy ,Annie and Rosie R.I.P
The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.” - unknown
HensAloud
Legendary Laner

Post by HensAloud »

They're as sweet as sugar candy ! :-D
Angela
Usually Barking Up the Wrong Tree
tosca100
Lively Laner

Post by tosca100 »

Bless them, I have opened the door and they are all piled in a cardboard box looking worried. I'm sure they will come out eventually, they are survivors.

Edit; Bless them...there is too much Space in this room, there is too much Light, too much Green and Blue on the other side of the door. There are Hens Totally Overderessed out there. And there is a very noisy Man! So we will stay Safe in our little box.

davina112
Legendary Laner

Post by davina112 »

Orrrrr they are gorgeous. I have a Milly and a Molly, but as yet no Mandy. I thought I had a Mandy, but it turned out to be man, he is a good looking one though.
[center][/center]Davina
tomato
Lively Laner

Post by tomato »

Hello there Milly, Molly and Mandy. What beautiful girls )wav(
Jacqui xxx

Always remembering my lost girls, now at Rainbow Bridge. :)
Scrambled
Lively Laner

Post by Scrambled »

Oh, this has made me smile!

My parents got three chickens in the 70's and called them Milly, Molly and Mandy )t'

Your new arrivals are lovely >ch< >ch< >ch<
manda

Post by manda »

Cool pics...lovely chooks :-D )t'
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
tosca100
Lively Laner

Post by tosca100 »

They're really sweet, they have come out into the big wide world and into an open building with sandy soil base so they can scratch when they want to, which we have not seen them do yet. They seem a bit weak on their legs but excercise might sort that out. Sevi is beside himself, it's a good job he doesn't know you can fly over a fence if you are a chicken, you don't have to try to go through it! I'm afraid he will not be having the pleasure of their company, as soon as the two boys have gone we will be re-organising the flock into his and hers, and my laying ladies are going to be manless...unless they all start fighting. Sevi will be boss of OH's shumen flock.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Milly,Molly and Mandy are beautiful girls )t' love the peering out of the box
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Hope they settle well.

davina112 wrote: I have a Milly and a Molly, but as yet no Mandy. I thought I had a Mandy, but it turned out to be man.

Mily Molly & Man.

Yes I read the stories too. And Amelia Ann.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Chicken drumstick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Chicken drumstick »

Three very lucky ladies with a better life ahead of them )t'
tosca100
Lively Laner

Post by tosca100 »

Well, there has been major upheaval in chicken towers the last few days. Our four young cockerels have all gone to their new homes, one with two girls in tow, so all three groups were mixed this afternoon. The only squawks coming from one youngster with twisted feet who Sevi decided was worth having a go at, but she is fine. The youngsters all filed in to see the new ladies (who OH has named the Scrawnies) and after a brief hello ate their food. The Sevi went in and made up to them but soon got bored. They later came out and all was well. At bed time all three groups went to their respective rooms which is fine for now. Tomorrow we will see what happens.

Meanwhile old habits die hard, and though the perch has been tried and approved in principle, being squeezed into a box is still the way to go.
tosca100
Lively Laner

Post by tosca100 »

Thought an update was due on our three ladies.

The chickens have all been re-distributed now that all last years boys have gone to their new homes. There is the Shumen breeding group and the layers....or misfits. My hens. These are made up of the scrawnies, Darcy, a shumen with two dodgy feet who dances everywhere so she can keep balanced, Pearl who is too pale and very pretty, Chubba, a huge hen who also has a twisted foot and was Sevi's favourite as easy to catch, and Cagney and Lacey, brown hens, Lacey being a bit quiet and subdued today.

So now that they are getting used to their new mates, the scrawnies are showing their characters. They are all friendly, tending to follow you around. All have enormous appetites. Mandy with the floppy comb is a bit dim and can usually be found on the opposite side of the fence to the others (pen within a pen) Molly is inclined to get herself into tight spaces and need rescuing, so a door has had to go on the feed room, and area no chicken has bothered with before. This morning they were all waiting to get through the door first, the others coming out fifteen minutes later. They still sleep in a box together.

Milly and one other have laid their first eggs today. We were around when Milly laid her's, but the other was dropped in the pen. Milly, like a true battery hen, needed company and pushed herself in behind a rather put out Lacey to lay her egg!

Molly and Mandy doing what they do best....eating.

Milly pushing her way in behind Lacey.

Egg no 1 found in the run

And Milly's offering