Operation Blackout Curtain

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
PrimDaisyShadow
Learner Laner

Operation Blackout Curtain

Post by PrimDaisyShadow »

Hi,
Just thought I'd update on my egg eating chicken problem.

I put a curtain up in the nest box as suggested, the first morning I was up early to make sure the girls knew how to use it {rofwl} Hetty was pacing around the sleeping area and squatting in the corner so I lifted the curtain to one side and she eventually settled in the nest box. She managed to get out ok and the other 2 girls managed to get in alright too.
Paloma has laid a couple of soft shells that she has then gone on to eat and to start with I was stalking them so as soon as one lay I was in there collecting so she didn't get chance to eat them.
We went away for a few days last week so that was the big test of the curtain as my Mum was looking after them so wasn't on hand to collect eggs straight away. She collected 3 eggs most days, Palomas green eggs occasionally had a peck crack in but so far since then operation blackout curtain seems to have worked.
She's leaving all eggs alone and they're perfect the majority of the time, had a thin shelled one on Saturday with a hole in, Im assuming from some over zealous egg manoeuvring (Paloma does tend to arrange all the eggs, fake and real, under herself a lot, I do wonder if she's slightly broody)
So a HUGE thank you for the suggestion, it works!!!!
Emma x

jackian
Legendary Laner

Re: Operation Blackout Curtain

Post by jackian »

That is good news )t'
I did not know about this hint so will store it for future reference ( hopefully not needed)
4 lovely girls~~ Clover, the oldie and top chick Bonnie second in command .new girls Bluebell and Blossom.
2 lovely new girls 19-01-2015~~ Chelsea and Ruby.
Eva , Florry , Poppy ,Annie and Rosie R.I.P
The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.” - unknown
Skeksis
Longlasting Laner

Post by Skeksis »

Glad my tip worked )t'
chookmike
Longlasting Laner

Post by chookmike »

Hiya PDS

We are having very few eggs lately and I am just wondering whether we have egg eaters.

There is nothing left over though - no bits of shell or yolk stained bedding.

Are you always confident they have eaten one and what evidence do you see?

Thanks for you help

Mike
chookmike
Longlasting Laner

Post by chookmike »

Oh no!

We found eggshell in the nest today....

Let's hope someone was just clumsy

Mike
Skeksis
Longlasting Laner

Post by Skeksis »

As I said on your other thread, Mike, I suspect you do have egg eaters. Often IME there is no evidence, they eat the shells and all and my hens even ate the albumen-y and yolky shavings too so no evidence until I caught them at it.
chookmike
Longlasting Laner

Post by chookmike »

Carpentry tools out tomorrow then!

I am off tomorrow mind so firstly might just take a cup of tea and a book up there and sit it out. Needless to say no-one will be interested in laying when one of the food servers is around. At least there are only 3 hens in that area. I suspected it was Head Girl as she is semi bald and permanently starving but she laid in with Bumble today and left it alone.

The hen she stripped the back feathers off in her search for protein is one of the 3 in the ? egg eater area. She is now growing feathers all over the place and only now can I understand what a massive consumption of energy and uncomfortable time it must be - we have a porcupine with wings!

Problems, endless problems. Bit down hearted and wondering what we are doing wrong.

Once this lot go over the bridge I am going to keep cacti >veg5<

and Pip of course - the most beautiful and characterful little cat I have ever had. Jet black, green eyes and a typical boy - always up to no good. He watches the chooks and gives them little squeezy eyes - cat language for 'I love you'

Cheers )hic(
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

I agree, good tip from skeksis. Strange how these old tricks still work no matter what age of technology we are in !!

Just one point and that is 'why do they have the need to eat them'?

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome