sick chicks

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
jopash
Learner Laner

sick chicks

Post by jopash »

I've two sick chicks. They are five and a half weeks old now. Their father is a dwarf Orpington and their mother a Warren but as my Warrens didnt fancy sitting I put them under a neighbours broody hen. She abandonned them but when I found them they had started to pip so I put them in a hot box and they hatched. They were fine for the first four and a half weeks, eating and drinking well, vigorous, curious and active. They started to feather up nicely and then they got ill. They seem to wobble and have difficulty standing but they are still eating. They have never been outside and never been in contact with other chickens. They've had a good diet. One of my neighbours reckons they have a genetic disease which will progress. Another reckons they're fine and just need keeping warm. Any ideas?

Skeksis
Longlasting Laner

Re: sick chicks

Post by Skeksis »

manda

Post by manda »

You need to get them to a vet ...could be any number of things but hands on and looking all over is the best chance they have.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Just a thought - if they've never been outside, depending on where they're kept
could they be deficient in vitamin D (from the sun)?
Anyway, I agree with Manda I'd take them to the vet personally
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Skeksis
Longlasting Laner

Post by Skeksis »

Yes, a vet is definitely the right thing. Chicks can go downhill very quickly and its not worth the risk
jopash
Learner Laner

Post by jopash »

Thank you, I will. Though I think the vets here in France will laugh at me.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Perhaps you could look for an avian vet, it would be useful to know one if you're
keeping chooks. I'd have thought people in France that keep parrots & budgies
need to take them to an Avian or an Exotics vet - or whatever the equivalent is in
France, and poultry farmers must need the vet sometimes.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant