Some kind of attack?!?!

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Draygor
Lively Laner

Some kind of attack?!?!

Post by Draygor »

Hello all,

it's been quite a while since I've been on this forum, what with new home, new job etc and still keeping chickens, horses, dogs, cats etc - it's difficult to find time for anything!!

I need some advice from anyone who may have experienced similar!

It's not a pretty or happy story, so be warned.

Firstly - our keep is a 20 hen house, with approx 15 hens - loads of room, the run is about 40' x 40' barked and dirt area surrounded by a 7' (yes 7') electric net system and automatic door opener. The netting is pegged to the ground all the way around and then there are foot boards (8") from pole to pole around the perimeter! Nice and secure!!

4 days ago, I came home from work, it was a beautiful day here in the Brecon hills, so I decided to sit out in the garden with a shandy. The girls were making a slightly unusual racket.

When I rounded the hedge, I was met with a dense scattering of feathers on the grass - instantly recognisable as our only speckled in the flock. Then there were more and more - all around the coop, but the strange thing is they were on the outside of the netting.

There were no holes in the netting, no holes dug down or under - this totally confused me. Another victim of a Brecon fox was my first thought. When I opened the main door to the coop, there she was sat on the perch surrounded by clucking hens, totally dazed and confused - and badly torn. I thought she would die that night. It must have happened while I was in work and the other chickens were alerting me.

I cannot begin to fathom how this has happened, what did it or how.

Now for the crunch. She has survived 4 days, she is breathing fine, each day I have sprayed purple antiseptic spray on the area, and she has produced droppings. The damaged area to her breast looks like something out of a horror movie, with flesh hanging here and there, but very little blood. Today when I refilled the water supply in the medical cage I have her in, I couldn't believe my eyes when water went in and some (not all) came back out dripping to the floor, again she drunk, and again it happened.

I can only imagine that her crop sack has been punctured during the attack.

Now for my question - if nothing was staying in her crop (water or food), would she have survived 4 days? Would she be pooping?

Now for the big question - what should I do? should I wait a few days to see if it all heals and she continues to eat and drink, or will it not, and I should despatch her.

I'm not adverse to doing it, I have a number of times for dying hens, but she is such a cutey. Needless to say my wife is heartbroken.

Any advice, similar stories, help would be appreciated - sorry this is so long winded!
Never expect the enemy to be where you expect them to be!!

kitla
Legendary Laner

Re: Some kind of attack?!?!

Post by kitla »

oh no how awful! A fox could certainly climb a 7 ft fence but I wouldn't think it
could jump an electric one. Perhaps a bird of prey? or something that tried to grab
her through the fence.
I would think that even if she survived the injuries physically she'd need antibiotics,
you sound like you're not keen on taking her to a vet, would you consider it as she
is a favourite? It doesn't sound to me like she has much chance otherwise .
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

I hope she pulls through bless her but have you considered it may be an inside job? I have seen a hen pulled apart, her leg nearly off by her sisters. She may have cut herself on something and the others just went in on her
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Oh my god that sounds just awful, it's a miracle she hasn't died of shock. It sounds like she needs surgery to stitch up her crop at least and probably Abs to stave off any infection. I would've thought she'd also be in a fair amount of shock and pain. Get her to the vets if that's at all possible, especially if you're all in bits over her.

Could a rat have got in anywhere? There's no sign of digging or burrowing?
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Draygor
Lively Laner

Post by Draygor »

HI all, thanks for the responses.

Rats regularly visit the area as there is a stream nearby, and they tend to come up for the food, although we now use a rodent proof feeder. They never go into the run until the hens have all gone in (I know this, as I have despatched quite a few with my powerful air rifle). Someone said in our local it could have been a mink!! I've never seen one myself.

An update on Frances: I have given her a shot of AB's - supplied by a fellow chicken keeper and breeder, and we have attempted to stitch the 'flaps' of skin very carefully back together. She stayed perfectly still and didn't flinch at all while we were doing it. Strangely enough, as soon as we had finished, she decided to guzzle a good amount of water, which surprisingly only a tiny amount was visible dribbling out - a remarkable difference to earlier. Also she ate an entire piece of bread herself - none of which was visible.

Through the night will tell if we were successful and whether or not she pulls through - if we got it right, then the bread will come out tomorrow - where it should come out from!!

I will update on here tomorrow afternoon. Thanks again
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

There was a post on here a little while back about someone's friend who had lost a flock to a mink. Horrible. They can squeeze through small spaces apparently, so maybe there's a small gap which you would think is too small for something to get through, but in fact isn't?

I really hope frances is okay tomorrow and doesn't suffer too much from this.The poor little mite, and she sounds so brave. {hug} I can't imagine stitching a hen myself, I wouldn't have the nerve - or the needle and thread, come to that. Kudos to you for giving it a go.

Might be an idea to add some sugar or honey to the water, give her a bit of an energy boost? Plus also have you got any antiseptic to treat the wound & stitches? Just to be on the safe side.
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

I can't wait for the update. It must be awful for you and your wife; and not much fun for the little lady.

Feathers outside, hen inside? It does sound as though something has got her to the top of the fence to do the mauling and then she's got free and dropped back down inside the run.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

Oh crikey yike*

How is she doing today? Really hoping she pulls through after all she's (and you!) have been through >fi<
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
Draygor
Lively Laner

Post by Draygor »

UPDATE 2:
Fran is still alive, still eating and drinking, but still leaking a little when she drinks. She is pooping, so some of the food has to be making the right way through her.

Checked her today for any infection - touch wood, no sign. Sprayed her with antibacterial spray, all over the damaged are, which obviously stung quite a bit and she let me know it!

My poultry breeding friend said he may have to put 1 stitch in to combat the leak, but not sure if it will heal.

Best case - it will all heal and knit back together.
Acceptable case - she will have to eat little and often, and I keep it all clean and infection free for her.
Worst case - she doesn't make it.

Worst case isn't an option!!
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Once you start looking after a poorly hen she soon becomes like one of the family.
You already sound pretty attached to her. Wouldn't you consider taking her to
the vet to be professionally "repaired" - just this once?
I would be afraid that if something can leak out of her, then something can get
in! and she cant be on antibiotics for ever.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

I've twice had to take an injured chook to the vet - one from a fox attack and the other, like yours, we never got to the bottom of but I suspect a mink.

Both times, the chooks needed extensive stitching under general anaesthetic and a course of antibiotics and painkillers and a follow up appointment to check all healing. The vet charged me £40 for each chook )t'

It could be worth a phone around, even if just for some pain relief for her - metacam was what the vet gave us )t'
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
Draygor
Lively Laner

Post by Draygor »

Hi everyone,

Unfortunately Fran lost her battle earlier this evening, she put up a bloody good fight right to the end. Both very upset as she was a cheeky little so and so. Still out of pain now I guess. {cry}

We also think we've identified the culprit - earlier today my wife called from the paddock in a way that said something was wrong. Flying out of the tree and swooping for something in the field was the biggest buzzard I have ever seen (and we have loads around here in Brecon). Looking at Frans injuries, they weren't chunks or bites had been taken out of her, but rather long cuts like talons or claws.

Has anyone else heard of a bird of prey attacking chickens?
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Hi

I'm so sorry to hear your news.

I don't know of anyone who has had experience of killings by Birds of Prey but have to say it was the first thing that came to mind, especially seeing where you live.

On a smaller scale I've seen Sparrowhawks of late getting through loads of Pigeons, so size by size etc.
I've also sen Magpies attack my Cats, so take a Magpie and Sparrowhawk and what they can do.....I think it is the answer.

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

So sorry she didn't make it. How awful, she must have been terrified.
We had a huge buzzard circling over us this afternoon, all the chooks cocked their
heads - left eye upwards, I stood in the garden until it had been chased away by
the wildbirds. There are a lot of them around these days.
--Immanuel Kant
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

Awww, so sorry she didn't make it .

It definitely sounds like you've found the culprit.
Lucy x