More Chickens than you started with? (POLL)

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues

Have you more Chickens now to when you started?

Yes
71%
No
14%
New to it, but thinking about adding more
14%

Total votes: 28

Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

More Chickens than you started with? (POLL)

Post by Richard »

Hi,

Just a little exercise for writing an article around how many people add to their original flock.

Be great to read any stories ie. Started with 3, then up to 7, now 15 plus extending Runs. to house them etc.

Many thanks,

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome

Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: More Chickens than you started with (POLL)

Post by Mo »

I started with 3. Numbers have fluctated between 3 and 6 as I add 2 or 3 when egg production is down (or if the fox comes to call).
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Re: More Chickens than you started with? (POLL)

Post by Richard »

I should say I started with 3 and within 3 years went up to over 30.
Went from an Ark to a 24 square Run and 2 Sheds

In the last 5 years or so I've kept it down to between 5 and 8 Chickens.
At present I'm down to 3 as I'm unsure of my future abode.

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Bob B
Learner Laner

Post by Bob B »

Started with 6 ex Bats went down to 1 after 2 years but have added 3 light Sussex so know 4, Calculate that the original remaining ex Bat is about 5 years old, stopped laying about 8 months ago. But not about egg production.
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

Just increased our flock today. We've had 4 for 2 years but lost two recently and have just got another 3. We'd love more and have plans to extend the run and get a bigger coop so watch this space...
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

We started with 4, eventually ending up with 8. Unfortunately we lost them in a fox attack but when we moved house we bought another 6 to replace them.
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
Chicken drumstick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Chicken drumstick »

Went from 4 to nine )t'
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

Started with 4 ex garden lbj girls. Acquired 2 light Sussex almost immediately after our house move. Added 2 black rocks from a chap who had decided to concentrate on bantam. Rescued 5 ex barn girls the following year. This year rescued 5 more exbatts. We've lost a few and yesterday had 11. This morning we got 8 abandoned bantam. 2 might be cockerels. The original coop and run would fit comfortably in our quarantine area. We've extended a few times and the hens lived in our utility room for a while after a gale wiped out our setup.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
tosca100
Lively Laner

Post by tosca100 »

Lots of fluctuation here. Started with three in the back garden of our semi in Wales, given five as a housewarming present when we moved here, bought a trio of Shumens who had babies. Have lost three of the five, had chicks and homed most, kept some, lost a few. Six ex-batts. At the moment we have only sixteen chickens, that will swell temporarily tomorrow when a friend's eight come to stay for a couple of months while she goes back to the UK.

Houses, we started with a small, vermin proof shed and the nursery, then converted another shed so keeping babies, layers and shumens separate. All mixed and in the nursesry for the winter. Friend's going in the large shumen run. One empty for emergencies. The geese live in the garage...temporarily! yike*
Because my memory is not brilliant......http://debrazzaman.blogspot.com/
manda

Post by manda »

Started with 8 ...and now well they're all over the place at the moment around 60 ...not exactly sure about the numbers )sh
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Ah yes, it's your 'nests in the bushes' season. Just as we're getting towards the 'shut them in before tea' season.
ulrikeelmleigh
Lively Laner

Post by ulrikeelmleigh »

Started with 4. When down to 2, added 4 more. One of those went broody and hatched 6 chicks, so briefly I had 6 hens and 6 chicks in the garden. Found new homes for all chicks and earlier this year was down to 2. Since then, 1 rescue hen was aquired and 3 new chicks hatched, so now it's 6 altogether - until this evening, when one of the 2 cockerels is leaving for his new home. {cry}
ChickenCarol
Longlasting Laner

Post by ChickenCarol »

Started with three ended up extending the run to more than double size and added two extra small coups to the original one and now have eight girls. There does seem to be a pattern emerging here with chicken keeping.

Started with three as it's the recommended minimum but very happy with my eight little girls. They are addictive.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Well I think it's a daft question. How many people on this forum are happy to cull unproductive hens? And how many will go back to shop eggs after eating an egg that you've collected still warm?
So you are bound to increase a bit - the secret is not to do it too soon and to leave room for some young hens when you have pensioners.
tomato
Lively Laner

Post by tomato »

i started with 3, when 1 died i got 2 more and its just increased from there. I now have 16, 7 of which are ex batts.
Jacqui xxx

Always remembering my lost girls, now at Rainbow Bridge. :)